Praise for famous musicians has gone too far

Graphic by Brian Hwu.
Graphic by Brian Hwu.

By Seth Slover

Graphic by Brian Hwu.

In a day and age where the music industry is overwhelmingly glorified, musicians are idolized.  While the notion of idolizing famous, successful individuals is nothing new, the degree to which they are adored is perhaps extreme.

The hip-hop and rap industry epitomizes this idea, as rappers are often worshipped as gods on Earth.  Rappers such as Drake, Lil’ Wayne, Mac Miller and Jay-Z are lauded for their “mind-blowing,” “sick” songs and albums.  The release of a new album results in an obsessive excess of comments regarding the immense talent level apparent in their songs.

Twitter is the most common medium used by adoring fans.  Following the release of Drake’s new album, “Take Care,” Twitter was filled with countless Tweets referencing their obsession with the music and the artist himself.  I take issue with the latter.  When 75 percent of my Twitter feed is about the newest hip-hop album and five percent is about more relevant, important issues in the news, then it is safe to say that our generation is weighing the significance of hip-hop artists far too heavily – especially compared to issues that are deserving of such attention.

It is surely normal to be into music, especially when it is new; but when did the enjoyment of an artist’s music begin meaning the artist of the music should be heralded as some sort of deity?  I take issue with this for two reasons.

For one, the obsession with rappers in particular has taken a turn in the direction of absolute, misguided obsession.  To everyone worshipping these men, keep in mind that they are simply human beings with an aptitude for making music considered by some to be enjoyable to listen to.  Many of them do not even write their own songs.  So, let’s slow down with the emphatic exaltation of these mere human beings.

Perhaps the more concerning aspect is the fact that my generation seems more drawn to and more adoring of the wrong people.  To an extent, I listen to and enjoy certain types of rap; nevertheless, I can imagine no argument that could viably claim that these heralded artists are generally clean, upright or morally respectable based off the lyrics in their songs.  Why the immense magnetism to those who so often glorify selfishness, greed, crime and immorality in general?  There are definitely more worthy role models to be followed.

I’m not ranting.  I’m attempting to bring a sense of reality and rationality to this rapper-crazed generation.  Everyone take a step back and realize that there is more to a talented rapper than his music.  You are not “in love” Drake or Lil’ Wayne.  Let’s all get some perspective.