Keller Central “served” by Cowgirls

By Seth Slover

A surprisingly small, yet supportive, crowd came out to root on the Coppell volleyball team against the Keller Central Chargers Tuesday night.  It was clear from the very start that the Chargers would be no match for the superior Cowgirls.

Game one was kicked off with a run by the Cowgirls right out of the gates, as they jumped out to a 11-4 lead.  Junior Chiaka Ogbogu helped her team out early with contributions around the net.  Coppell’s play was not flawless, however, as poor back row play gave way to a three point run by the Chargers.  A spark such as this one was proof that Coppell was still in no position to lay off the gas pedal.  Sophomore Kate Dicken got the last point of game one for the Cowgirls, resulting in a 25-13 score.

Game two was notable in one respect due to the appearance of Sophomore Alex Silver, recently moved up to varsity.

“I was really happy to play.  It was a great game to play in,” Silver said.

Ogbogu broke an early 3-3 tie early in game two, giving way to a relatively easy win.  A calm crowd was obviously pleased with the effective play of the Coppell team.

Coppell’s play in game three could be best described as “sheer domination”.  Senior Kierra Holst helped her team to a 6-0 start with a series of powerful spikes on the back row.  Holst and Junior Cassidy Pickrell, among others, contributed to what was surely a pleased Coppell coaching staff.  The game was one capped off with more domination by Holst, helping the Cowgirls cruise to a 25-9 final score to wrap up the game and the match.

Junior Jordan Jones had hits of her own during game three.  Jones, near 100% after spending time out due to injury in the past weeks, was happy to impact the game.

“After missing games, I’m really excited to be back and playing.  It’s a great feeling when you can make plays that help out the team.  That was even truer tonight with a great win like this one,” Jones said.