At CHS the student section gets intense

By Chris Reagan

It’s no doubt that Coppell has easily one of the most spirited student section’s in the area. Don’t believe me? Go to a volleyball game on a Tuesday night. Not only do we berate the opposing team with chants of “ You let the whole team down” but research has even been done for ammo to use against anyone who dares play against our beloved cowgirls.

I know that sometimes our fans are downright abusive and would most likely be considered unsportsmanlike but I, for one, am proud of our student section for many reasons.

The most obvious being the winning tradition that almost all of our sports have. Why would you not talk a little trash if you can back it up? Obviously, we need to learn a little bit of timing as during the Plano West volleyball game we kind of jinxed our team a little bit. (Don’t worry, we still won) Every season in almost every sport it seems like Coppell is in the running for a district title, and if they’re not they’re working hard to get to that point. With success like that it would be terrible not to show our teams a little love.

The next reason is the support we want to show for our fellow students and friends. I realized two years ago that when stars like Cam McDaniel and Cassidy Pickrell go out onto the court it’s really easy to see them not just as a friend, but as you’re favorite player. With the intensity level around you, you forget that you’re only watching some 16- 18 year old high school students play. Suddenly you feel like you’re watching the pros themselves.

My final reason is a little less obvious but i guarantee it’s a factor into the fanticism that we see at CHS. Every day we spend from 8:20 to 3:50 sitting in class and getting lectured to by our teachers. Honestly, it’s frustrating. These games are our chances to let loose a little bit and forget about all our stresses while watching our friends do what they’re best at.

It’s easy to get carried away with chanting, but it serves a purpose. After all we are the most feared fans in North Texas. That’s a reputation I’m proud to have.