Rangers’ fans wave goodbye to attempted ban

Students at CHS have many opportunities to showcase their school spirit and pride at the multitude of sporting events played at home.  But some of the local professional sports teams aren’t as forgiving.

Rangers fans who live in the area will meet no such resistance to revive the wave, a ballpark tradition for a long time. This came after Chuck Morgan, Senior Vice-President of In-Ballpark Entertainment at the Ballpark in Arlington, apologized for his snide campaign to take away fans’ enjoyment of our nation’s pastime.  According to Greg Holland, author of www.Stopthewave.com, and leader of the front, the wave should only be started under certain circumstances, including during a playoff game or if the home team is on defense.

Holland began his crusade in May 2009 when fans started a wave during a close game in Arlington. The Rangers eventually lost, and he decided to take up the cause. Many other avid fans disagree. They believe the cheers and enthusiasm are a great way to showcase their team spirit.

One fan said, “Once I do the wave, the amount of energy in the crowd goes up 20, 30, 40 percent,” he said. “For me, the next cheer I do is louder.”

1