Image and video hosting by TinyPic" />

WalkAbout for Autism Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Paige Wilson

On Sept. 26 the Brent Woodall Foundation hosted their 5th annual WalkAbout for Autism at Andy Brown East. Adults and kids gathered to walk and raise money for the foundation.

The Brent Woodall Foundation was created in 2003 by Tracy Pierce Bender. The foundation was dedicated to her husband Brent Woodall who lost his life in the events that occurred on September 11, 2001. She created the foundation in hopes to empower the families who are affected by autism.

The walk’s main goal was to raise money for one of the foundations many successful programs to help children suffering from Autism. The Brent Woodall foundation offers programs such as Speech Program which combines expertise in Speech-Language Pathology and Applied Behavior Analysis to provide the most effective speech therapy.

Junior Farah Mithani knows personally how much financial trouble can come from autism.

“My cousin has autism and they have come into many financial problems trying to pay for therapy programs and surgeries,” Mithani said. “I think foundations like this really take a lot of pressure off the families.”

The foundation doesn’t just focus on the children but also the family by providing parent programs like Parent Support Group. Through this parents can feel comfortable talking about any feelings or problems to highly trained social workers.  

Junior Judy Hong who has participated in numerous walks for autism knows how difficult autism can affect families.

“I have worked with autistic kids for many years and I know how difficult it is for the families with kids affected by autism,” Hong said. “The kids really don’t realize what a disadvantage they have but the parents are completely aware and it hurts them more. I think it is great that the foundation focuses on the parents and not just the kids.”

The walk hosted several events besides the walk to help raise money. The foundation hosted a raffle drawing. They also encouraged members to ask friends for monetary donations. For every hundred dollars raised the walker could receive five raffle tickets.

The event was full of excitement especially for kids. The walk had a bounce house, kid zone, photo booth, and a bike rodeo. Every walker also received a free T-shirt.  The walkers contributed twenty-five dollars for adults and ten dollars for kids.

The event really personified what the foundation is all about, the children and parents affected by this disease.  The Brent Woodall foundation is all about helping everyone not just the kids. This is one of their major priorities.

“Autism affects 1 in 166 children and can be devastating to a family of a child who is affected. While there is no known cure for autism, there is HOPE.”

The WalkAbout for Autism is all about the families weather it is the events at the walk or the overall mission of the foundation, the Bret Woodall Foundation is determine to help struggling families and supporting them.

Original Video – More videos at TinyPic

1