Cowboys to take on first place Dragons this afternoon

By Peter Sblendorio
    Sports Editor

The Coppell Cowboys baseball team (8-2) sits in second place of District 7-5A, sitting two games behind the first place Southlake Carroll Dragons (10-0). This afternoon, they will look to narrow the gap in the divisional race, as they travel to Dragons Stadium at 4:00 p.m. to take on Southlake Carroll.

The Dragons won the first game against 8-0 in Coppell, which handed the Cowboys their second district loss of the year. Since, Coppell is yet to lose, and they are eager to continue their hot play and cut into the Dragons’ district lead with a win today.

The Cowboys will be in good hands on the mound, as they plan to send junior Conner Foltyn to mound this afternoon. The lefty is 6-0 this season, 4-0 in district play, with a 3.17 ERA in 2011.

The game is a must win for Coppell if they hope to win District 7-5A, as a loss would put them three games down with three to play. This would also give the Dragon’s the tiebreaker over the Cowboys, as a win would give them a season sweep against Coppell.