Cowboys take on Plano this Tuesday at UNT

Peter Sblendorio
    Sports Editor

The Coppell Cowboys basketball team has already secured one of their goals for the 2011 season, as they finished the year as the District 7-5A season. Now, Coppell will look to obtain an even bigger trophy, as they begin the postseason this Tuesday against Plano at UNT.

The Cowboys, winners of 12 straight games to complete the regular season, were a heavyweight in 7-5A, as they went 13-1 overall in district play. Their opponents, however, were lackluster for the most part, and they take on a Wildcats team that qualified for the playoffs despite playing in District 8-5A, one of the hardest divisions in 5A basketball.

For Coppell to advance to the second round, something they failed to do last season, they will need to be up to the test of playing against a bigger roster in Plano. Center Jett Raines ahs been a steady inside presence for Coppell, as he led the team in scoring in 2011 with 11.4 points per game.

That said, senior guard Hunter Robinson could be the key for the Cowboys, as his 10.6 points per game were good for second on the team. Plano may be bigger than Coppell, but they are also slower, and that could lead to open looks for Robinson.

The game will take place at UNT at 8:00 p.m. this Tuesday. Come out to show your Cowboy pride.

Click here for more on the Cowboys.