Girl’s soccer enters tough stretch before district commences

Adam Bremner

To start off the 2011 season, the Cowgirl soccer team ranked second to only one team in ESPN RISE’s Fab 50 teams in the nation. And after losing its first game to Clear Lake, Coppell dropped to 22nd in the rankings but have not lost a game since.

Tonight, the Cowgirls battle Mckinney Boyd, who are ranked 17th in ESPN’s rankings and knocked the Cowgirls out of the playoffs last year. Over the last couple of years, Boyd and Coppell have formed a chippy rivalry that brings the best out of each team.

The Cowgirls’ line of tough opponents this week does not stop there, however, as they face two other perennial powers. When they enter the Georgetown tournament this weekend, Coppell will face The Woodlands, who were in the state final last year, and Kingwood (ranked 6th).

Following last weekend’s game against Allen, Coppell standout Chioma Ubogagu rolled sprained her ankle and will be out 2-4 weeks, missing crucial non-district and district contests. Playing without Ubogagu will certainly call for some adjustments but coach Stricker is looking optimistically upon the challenge.

“Losing Chioma will defintely hurt, but our team has enough playmakers to play well. [Senior] Danielle [Herubin] and [junior] Kasye Johnson have really been playing well and I expect them to step up,”  Stricker said. “Having said that, you can’t replace [a player like] Chi.”

The Cowgirls will began district on Feb. 1 as they face Saginaw at home at 7:30 p.m.