Lakers setting the pace in 2010

By Peter Sblendorio

While seemingly all of the hype in the young 2010-11 NBA season has gone to the Miami Heat and their new “Big 3”, the two time defending champion Los Angeles Lakers have quietly established themselves as the team to beat once again.

Unlike the Heat, who added two of the games biggest superstars to their roster in the offseason, the summer months were quiet in L.A. Phil Jackson and Derek Fisher returned for a chance at another title, and that was pretty much it for the Lakers. That said, the Lakers have not missed a beat, winning their first eight games and looking dominant in the process.

The Lakers have averaged more than 112 points so far in 2010, 13 points per game more than they have allowed through eight games. What is most noticeable, however, is how involved their entire offense has been so far. A different player leads each major category.

With 10.8 rebounds per game, forward Lamar Odom has come of the bench to set the pace on the glass. Forward/center Pau Gasol has showed his touch, leading the team with 4.8 assists per game, and former defensive player of the year forward Ron Artest leads the club with 2.0 steals per contest. Not surprisingly, guard Kobe Bryant, recipient of the Finals MVP two years running, leads the 8-0 Lakers in scoring in 2010, as he has averaged 24.1 points each night.

The Lakers are off to a sizzling start this season, and recent history suggests they probably won’t cool down.

Click here for more on the Lakers.