Mavericks bounce into 2010-11 NBA season

Adam Bremner

Following the Cowboys’ disastrous start and the Rangers finally done with their season, its time to focus on the high-hopes Mavericks as they enter the fresh NBA season.

Looking at the roster as of now, it is quite similar to that of last years. Jason Kidd at point guard, Dirk at power forward, Shawn Marion at small forward and Caron Butler at shooting guard. And no, I did not forget Eric Dampier; he has been replaced by Tyson Chandler, who the Mavs acquired over the summer, to compliment center Brendan Haywood. Chandler’s addition has established the team’s full transition into an offense that is dedicated to pound the ball down low.

So far this season, the Mavs have been successful, posting a 4-2 record and gaining some impressive victories. In their first game, Dallas defeated a sloppy Charlotte Bobcats before turning around the next day and losing to Memphis in a close 91-90 battle. After easily trouncing the Clippers, the team faced the athletic Denver Nuggets in back to back games (one at home, one away), winning the first, 102-101, but giving up the second at home, 103-92. Most recently, the Mavs added their most inspiring win yet, by coming back against the Eastern Conference Champions in the fourth quarter to top Boston, 89-87.

The Dirk-led team’s offense is following suit as always and looking even better with Chandler’s athleticism to dunk down some of Kidd’s alley-oops. But what has been essential to their success is the team defense they have displayed on a game to game basis. Chandler’s impact on protecting the lane is just what the Mavs have need for all these years as Dirk no longer has to be responsible for stopping dribble drivers. Overall, the team has showed much more intensity on the defensive end than any of the past years.

The Mavericks (4-2) will rematch the Memphis Grizzlies (4-4) tonight in Memphis where Dallas will look to avenge their first week loss.