Categories:

Working in silence, letting success be his noise

Cusano leading the way on offense
Coppell senior wide receiver Tucker Cusano sprints past Sachse on Aug. 30 at Buddy Echols Field.  Cusano plays a large role in the team’s offensive strategy and has verbally committed to Rice to further his educational and athletic career.
Coppell senior wide receiver Tucker Cusano sprints past Sachse on Aug. 30 at Buddy Echols Field. Cusano plays a large role in the team’s offensive strategy and has verbally committed to Rice to further his educational and athletic career.
Wendy Le

Less is more.

Everyone knows the saying, but the motto rings especially true for Coppell senior wide receiver Tucker Cusano.

There tends to be a very specific stereotype around the position group: they are flashy, loud and sometimes viewed as selfish. However, if you ever get to sit down with Cusano, you will learn that he not only defies this stereotype, but he is the complete antonym of it. 

So much so that the defining trait about him has not been his size 3X hands or his speed on the field, but his silence.

Coppell senior wide receiver Tucker Cusano talks with head coach Antonio Wiley during the game against Sachse on Aug. 30 at Buddy Echols Field. Cusano plays a large role in the team’s offensive strategy and has verbally committed to Rice to further his educational and athletic career. (Sohana Singh)

“I think that’s naturally who I am,” Cusano said. “I just sit back and let my game talk. I don’t really have the skill of talking trash because some people can just say whatever they want. Me not talking is just me trying to think through what the person who’s teaching me or hearing something and getting it through my head. Out of football, I’m definitely there to mess around, make a few jokes and be around people that I know and love. I’m definitely a whole different person off the field than I am on the field. It’s just like how I play.”

Inspired by his father, Mark Cusano, a former linebacker for the University of Southern California, Tucker’s journey to football started when he was merely 4 years old playing flag football.

“Growing up, my dad told me about all of his mistakes and taught me to be a better person and try to get to the level that he was at, but also do it in the right way to where I don’t make the same mistakes,” Tucker said.

Tucker started out playing linebacker, but as time went on he tried quarterback and eventually settled on wide receiver in seventh grade at Coppell Middle School East. Luckily, Tucker had already been practicing for the moment. 

“I always had really good hands because I used to play catch with my dad a lot,” Tucker said. “When I was 5 years old, he would throw a ball over the trampoline net and I would have to jump up and catch it. We did that over and over again, almost everyday just because I enjoyed it. I didn’t really think that it would have any benefit for me, but my dad knew that it would.”

Mr. Cusano also instilled in Tucker his work ethic. Once Tucker started developing more as a wide receiver, he began working with personal coach and former NFL tight end DeAndre Goolsby.

“He’s one of my big inspirations,” Tucker said. “He’s been through it and he made it to the league and played for four different teams. He is teaching me about what mistakes he made and that there’s so much more than just, ‘Hey, run this route.’ It doesn’t really matter how deep or how fast you are, he taught me the little pieces that make you a great receiver.”

From training with Goolsby to doing extra practices with his dad, Tucker’s work ethic inspires his coaches and teammates to work harder for the person beside them.

“Everybody wants the glitz and glamor, being recruited and playing college ball and maybe even the next level after that, but if you fall in love with the process, then it’s even more rewarding,” wide receivers coach Tony Newsome said. “That’s one of the things that really stands out to me about him is that he’s committed to being a good football player, he’s committed to being a good student, he’s committed to being a good young man and respectful of his parents.”

For many athletes, the goal is to play at a Division I school for their sport. The same was true for Tucker. However, his commitment process started off slow, having only received one offer by the second semester of his junior year.

“There were some times where I was just thinking, ‘I don’t know if I want to do this anymore,” Tucker said. “I would get to that point because it felt like everything was going right for some people and then it felt like I was not being seen by anybody. It got to my head a lot and then I started to go to camps.”

Coppell senior wide receiver Tucker Cusano sprints during a play against Sachse on Aug. 30 at Buddy Echols Field. Cusano plays a large role in the team’s offensive strategy and has verbally committed to Rice to further his educational and athletic career. (Sohana Singh)

After what seemed like an eternity for him, Tucker received an offer from Rice in June. Within the same month, he committed.

“I was kind of in shock because I was just like ‘Wow, this is all the stuff I’ve been working for,” Tucker said. “It was kind of unreal to me. The goal was to play Power 5 football and play at USC like my dad did, so there was a defeated feeling in me like I didn’t make it to the level I wanted to. It was back and forth between ‘You didn’t get the goal that you wanted, but you got really close to it.’”

In his final season at CHS, Tucker and his coaches are looking to savor his time as a Cowboy.

“It’s funny you watch these guys grow,” football coach Antonio Wiley said. “He was this little skinny, lanky kid and now all of a sudden he’s got this great physique, he runs out there and he’s a big strong kid with a muscular build and he said he wanted to work to get a scholarship and he’s done that. I’ve watched the young man who didn’t necessarily run the best routes as a freshman and as a sophomore, and then all of a sudden he goes into his junior year and gets a little better. Now going into his senior year, his willingness to go out and put in the work so that he becomes a better football player has made us a better football team. I’m honored to call myself his coach.”

Follow Nyah (@nyah_rama) and @CHSCampusNews on X.

View Story Comments
Print this Story