CHS SPUR session avoids controversial issue

By Mary Whitfill

Features Editor

Really Coppell? Really? You have one time a month where we are required to sit down, listen and participate in whatever discussion you throw our way. You have one chance to get us to talk about how we feel about an issue; to address something really important that we as high school kids should be discussing. And in a time where teen lesbian and gay suicide rates are sky rocketing, you choose to discuss drug prevention. Really CHS?

The thing that bothers me most about our society, about humanity in general is our ability to avoid touchy subjects and events. Some can even go as far as to pretend they don’t exist. Which is exactly what CHS did on Friday at the last SPUR meeting. Do we live inside such a bubble that we really don’t see how these things are affecting people in our own town, in our own school? One look around will show you the true diversity that runs through the veins of CHS and we must not disregard the feelings of the minority.

Now, I know I am jumping down the throats of CHS administrators and while that is not what I aim to do, I know it is not an unreasonable expectation to wish for CHS to stop avoiding the issues. I am not alone. I have talked to many Coppell students in the last few days, all of them agreeing with my stance. One in particular, Jacob Bishop, has gone as far as posting his feeling about the recent events in the following facebook status:

“How many more gay men have to commit suicide before homophobes realize how cruel they are?”

If CHS students feel this strongly about the issue, isn’t it the duty of the school to address the issue? Or, even if not the duty, the moral obligation?  What is the point of the mentoring program if not to discuss what is relevant and important to us?

Share your thoughts, I’d love to hear them. Comment below and tell me if you think I am being unreasonable. What are your feelings on the issue?

7