Kohen Liu

Rhea Choudhary
    CHS9 freshman Kohen Liu hopes to foster valuable connections with his peers at CHS9. Liu is one of six 2023-24 Student Council executive officers.

CHS9 freshman Kohen Liu is a 2023-24 Student Council executive officer. Liu hopes to build valuable connections with the students at CHS9. 

Why did you run for the executive officer position?

It gave me a chance to leave my mark on the school. I want to lead the school and have our class to be the best we can be. 

How has your freshman year been?

It’s been great. I expected a big workload, but it’s not that bad. It’s not that stressful. The CHS9 community is very positive and lively. I’m just grateful to be a part of this new school, this bigger opportunity. 

What is your favorite part about being a student council officer?

I love being able to interact with everybody and have relationships with a lot of people at the ninth grade center. I’m really proud of the pep rallies, they are a very big thing at our school. We also organize volunteer opportunities for student council which can help the community and our school. There are also garden opportunities that allow us to help the ecosystem around us. When you lead, you need to have a good relationship with the people you are leading, or else they’re not going to really listen to you. 

What were some challenges you faced while running for office?

It was kind of hard to think of a campaign. I was also worried about how I would secure the most votes. I really had to re-think my purpose in running for student council. It’s not just that I wanted to win, it’s that I wanted to win for a reason. 

What have you learned from this role?

I want to develop leadership skills and build relationships with others. This role is a starter for other opportunities that I might get involved in.

How do you want to be remembered as an executive officer? 

I want people to remember my ability to connect with others. When you lead, you need to have a good relationship with the people you are leading or else they’re not going to really listen to you.