DECA ties district record with 25 state finalists, sends 21 members to ICDC

Chunduru elected as state DECA president, first state officer from Coppell ISD
21 Coppell High School DECA Members qualified for the International Career Development Conference in Houston last week at the state conference. They advance to ICDC in Anaheim, Calif. from April 26-May 1 to compete against students globally. Photo courtesy Richard Chamberlain

Within the crowds at George R. Brown Convention Center in Houston, Coppell DECA members anxiously prepare for their event, perfecting their finishing touches to place well at the State Career Development Conference.

DECA wrapped up SCDC with 21 Coppell International Career Development Conference  qualifiers and tied the district record of 25 state finalists.

“I was happy with their performance especially because this has been a small senior class this year compared to last year,” Coppell High School DECA advisor Richard Chamberlain said.

ICDC qualifiers will compete against students from all 50 states and nine different countries in Anaheim, Calif. from April 26-May 1.

Coppell competed against 7,000 students from several well-reputable districts across Texas at SCDC, including Round Rock ISD, Leander ISD and Frisco ISD. CHS DECA brought a total of 210 members to the state conference.

“We did well. We had 21 qualifiers for ICDC, approximately 10 percent of what we took to state, which is around our expectation,” Chamberlain said.

DECA members at SCDC had to place top two at their section to become an SCDC finalist, while the first place team or individual moves on to ICDC. The events are quick, with only 10 minutes to prepare and 10 minutes to present to show judges your abilities. 

“You don’t have a lot of time to compete in your event, so you don’t have a lot of time to be nervous, you just have to be in the moment,” junior ICDC qualifier Ayan Dadsena said.

Along with success in competition, SCDC also enables DECA members opportunities to make connections and network with others, not only forming bonds between members, but also allowing them to communicate to professionals from around the country through booths at the competition.

“I think some of the people that have inspired me the most are people I have found through DECA whether they are fellow officers or people I have just become friends with,” state DECA president and junior ICDC qualifier Yashritha Chunduru said.

Chunduru was elected Texas DECA president on Saturday, beating 19 other candidates and passing numerous interviews and tests, becoming the first state-level DECA officer from CHS. She served as CHS9 DECA president, district vice president as a sophomore and was eventually named district president in January. Chunduru is also a second-time ICDC qualifier, previously qualifying freshman year.

Although DECA events can be both team or individual, Chunduru thinks DECA’s own community fuels members to perform their best in a competitive yet encouraging environment.

“The overall atmosphere is great, but the people that make up DECA are also inspirational and amazing,” Chunduru said. “It’s truly prideful to all of us when one of us makes it.”

With the large number of people who made it to SCDC, and subsequently to ICDC, DECA leadership hopes that it inspires more students to join and achieve, with older members showing them that great feats in competitions are possible with dedication.

“It’s motivating since you see so many people make it, and you understand that your chances are high as long as you put in the work,” Chunduru said.

Follow Yug (@YugTalukdar) and @CHSCampusNews on X.

1