Chilean miners threaten to break pact of silence

By Mary Whitfill

Features Editor

Chilean President Sebastian Pinera and Bolivian President Evo Morales congratulate a miner after the rescue operation at the San Jose mine, near Copiapo, Chile, on October 13, 2010. (Jose Manuel de la Maza via Abaca Press/MCT)

Before the 33 trapped Chilean miners were rescued just days ago, they took a pact of silence that they would not discuss the worst of their ordeal, but two miners are already breaking this pact with one indicating that he would talk to money, and another coming right out and telling the world what didn’t happen.

As expected by today’s media-loving society, movie and book deals have been flowing in, eager to document the events of the 69 days that these heroic miners were trapped half a mile underground. Several miners are considering using these deals to secure their financial future. The miners have discussed that if they were to speak out about their story, they will speak as a group to avoid molding the story to individual interests. They are currently discussing whether or not they will sell the rights to their story. Miner Victor Segovia kept a diary while underground which he has admitted might be released as a book.

Yahoo! News has reported that miner Jorge Galleguillos said he would tell his story for a fee. Mario Sepulveda has set the record straight on what didn’t happen during their time trapped in the cave-in, denying that the men had sex while trapped, or that they considered cannibalism.

As predicted by many physiologists, many of the men aren’t ready to discuss their time underground, and it has been suggested that the event’s physiological effects may echo for months, if not years.