Theater Variety Show fundraiser brings community together through celebration of talent

Coppell High School sophomore Makayla Arnold performs “The Winner Takes It All” from “Mamma Mia” on Saturday at the CHS Auditorium. The performance was a part of the  Cowboy Theatre Company’s Jingle & Mingle Variety Show fundraiser.
Emmalee Jittasupo
Coppell High School sophomore Makayla Arnold performs “The Winner Takes It All” from “Mamma Mia” on Saturday at the CHS Auditorium. The performance was a part of the Cowboy Theatre Company’s Jingle & Mingle Variety Show fundraiser.

Going once, twice and sold! 

From lavish chocolate cakes to stand up comedy, the Cowboy Theatre Company’s Jingle & Mingle Variety Show fundraiser differed greatly from the general idea of what such an event should consist of. 

Compelling the audience throughout a two-hour long spectacle, featuring two acts and an engaging cake auction, the variety show was not only able to solicit funds from its participants, but bring the community together. 

“We have a lot of people every year who come back for the variety show,” CHS Theatre Booster Club co-treasurer Blake Arnold said. “The department is able to bring exposure to the community with their wide range of performances.”

Coppell High School senior Chloe Kryzak and sophomore Sabrina Vrla perform “Pizza Man” by Darlene Craviotto on Saturday at the CHS Auditorium. The performance was a part of the Cowboy Theatre Company’s Jingle & Mingle Variety Show fundraiser. (Emmalee Jittasupo)

Act I opened with a belligerent performance of “The Mob Song” from “Beauty and the Beast,” capturing the unwarranted rage the villagers held for the Beast and closed with senior Chloe Kryzak and sophomore Sabrina Vrla’s comical portrayal of “Pizza Man” by Darlene Craviotto.

“We always have a variety of different acts not in direct relation to theater, such as moms dancing, magic tricks, etc.,” CHS senior co-vice president of the Cowboy Theatre Company, Sid Gunasekaran said. “It is just the celebration of art used to focus on our goal of fundraising.”

Separating the two acts in a seamless effort to raise funds for the CHS Theatre was a cake auction. The community rallied against each other in cutthroat competition to outbid one another for several options of cake. 

“I’ve been in attendance for four years now, and I think it is a really fun way to raise money for the Theatre Department. The cakes are always delicious,” parent Katy Willey said. 

With decadent sweets emptying the pockets of many in attendance, an amused audience directed its attention to center stage once again. 

Act II carried dynamic vocals from the harmonious duets and show stopping solos of “What is This Feeling,” from “Wicked” (performed by seniors Lily Hess and Olivia Willey) as well as “Watch What Happens” from “Newsies” (sung by sophomore Lasya Raman). 

Concluding the final act, the highly anticipated preview of the Coppell Cowboy Theatre’s upcoming musical, “9-to-5” ended with thunderous applause echoing throughout the auditorium. 

Coppell High School cast of “9-to-5” performs a preview of the upcoming musical on Saturday at the CHS Auditorium. The performance was a part of the Cowboy Theatre Company’s Jingle & Mingle Variety Show fundraiser. (Emmalee Jittasupo)

“We’ve loved bringing the community together for the purpose of entertainment,” CHS Theatre Booster Club president Boo Messahel said. “Through this variety show we were able to showcase many talented performers who possess a variety of skills like comedy, dance, and ballards that evoke intense emotion.”

Follow Riya Prasad (@riyaaa_prasad) and Emmalee Jittasupo (@emmaleejitt) on Instagram and @CHSCampusNews on X.