My voyage through science fiction films

Kayla Nguyen
The Sidekick staff writer Sanghika Pallela gives thanks to scientific fiction classics such as Interstellar. Pallela is appreciative of the joy science fiction media provides. (Kayla Nguyen)

“I’ll be back,” the Terminator ominously said in his cold, robotic voice before ramming his car into the building.

This scene is an imprinted memory that stands out in my recollection. I replayed this scene several times to recreate the emotions I felt when I first watched it. I would show the scene to my friends to convince them to watch The Terminator movies. 

Initially, I had never specifically liked science fiction movies. I had always watched a mix of the same genres, usually cartoons or documentaries. 

It was only through my dad that I was introduced to the realm of science fiction films. I vividly recall the first science fiction movie I had watched: Stanley Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey

When I was younger, my dad tried to show me this movie on many occasions, but the roaring gorillas in the opening scene always made me run away from the screen.

I now wish I had overcome this fear at a younger age. I finally convinced myself to watch 2001: A Space Odyssey at age 11. It was one of the most beautiful and eye-opening movies I had ever seen.

The Sidekick staff writer Sanghika Pallela gives thanks to scientific fiction classics from Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey to A Wrinkle in Time. Pallela is appreciative of the joy science fiction media provides. (Kayla Nguyen)

I was so intrigued by the craft and concept of the movie that I asked myself, “What did the ending really signify? How did the monoliths end up on those planets? What would’ve happened if HAL 9000 took over?”

Questions encapsulated my mind as I broke down and analyzed the composition of the movie. I rewatched scenes, listened to reviews, explored different interpretations and even read the original book. The more I delved into the intricate details, the more I appreciated the filmmaking and storytelling.

After my interest sparked, my passion for the science fiction genre grew. Interstellar, Back to the Future, the Blade Runner movies and A Wrinkle in Time were just a handful of movies that contributed to my unending fascination.

For me, science fiction movies display thrill, action and entertainment in a manner that I find unparalleled. The incorporation of futuristic technology, unfamiliar environments and thrilling narratives keep me enthralled and glued to the screen.

As I scroll through LetterBoxd, a smile is plastered on my face. Whether I’m discovering new movies to watch or reminiscing on those already watched, I’m always grateful for the unforgettable experiences they have given me.

A commonality between my family and friends, science fiction movies have allowed me to bond with others and cherish experiences. By creating bonds with the people around me, these movies have become a source of discussion. As my dad shares his newly discovered movies, I am able to share mine, too.

Expanding my perspective of media, science fiction movies taught me how to explore different forms of media and find what I truly enjoy. While I previously watched a mix of the same genres, after broadening my horizons, I was able to discover a genre that I never thought would become a staple in my life.

1