Giving Thanks: My grumpiest friend

Kofta+is+a+4-year-old+fluffy+Persian+cat+who+has+been+an+unwavering+source+of+positivity+for+The+Sidekick+Staff+writer+Hamza+Zakir.+Zakir+gives+thanks+to+his+cat+Kofta+and+the+impact+he+has+had+on+his+family.+
Hamza Zakir
Kofta is a 4-year-old fluffy Persian cat who has been an unwavering source of positivity for The Sidekick Staff writer Hamza Zakir. Zakir gives thanks to his cat Kofta and the impact he has had on his family.

“Can we get a cat? Please?” 

This was the question that eternally plagued my parents. 

I remember the persistent, almost nagging tone in my voice, hoping to tug at my parents’ hearts. The question was a consistent presence in our household, enforced by both me and my siblings.

Growing up, I was always surrounded by friends and family who spoke of the joy their pets brought into their lives. Memories of chirping birds, loyal dogs and playful hamsters filled my conversations. While I longed for a furry companion, the answer from my parents was always a resounding “no.” They cited allergies, the responsibility of owning a pet and many other reasons to resist my campaign for an addition to the family.

Kofta is a 4-year-old fluffy Persian cat who has been an unwavering source of positivity for The Sidekick Staff writer Hamza Zakir. Zakir gives thanks to his cat Kofta and the impact he has had on his family. (Hamza Zakir)

Ten years later, with that plea etched in my memory, I find myself giving thanks to the grumpiest friend I always wanted. 

One evening, I arrived home from my new school, tired from a long day at Coppell Middle School West.

As I punched in my PIN and walked into the garage, a yellow dash of fur ran by my legs and crouched down under the car, followed by my siblings chasing after it. 

Curiosity piqued, I crouched down to get a better look. 

There under the car was a yellow loaf with blue beady eyes that captured my affection immediately. Upon looking at the plump outline of our newfound feline friend, my siblings decided on the appropriate name of Kofta, accordingly meaning “meatballs” in Urdu.

From that moment on, Kofta has been a consistent and positive influence in my life. His daily greetings when I return home from school and his playful attitude always gives me something to look forward to at the end of the day. Although putting up with his daily meowing at 6 a.m, constant demands for food and his frequent messes around the house does take a toll, his presence never fails to make every day just a little better.

Every holiday season, I fail to find a unique and creative answer to the inevitable question of what I am thankful for. This Thanksgiving, however, as I reflect on the things I have to be thankful for, I find that one of the simple joys in my life is one that has been with me for years. So this year, I give my heartfelt thanks to Kofta, my grumpiest friend: the cat who made my childhood dreams a reality.

Follow @hamza_a_zakir and @CHSCampusNews on X.