School board approves plans for bus improvements, campus renovations, maintenance

Yug Talukdar
Coppell ISD Board of Trustees vice president Anthony Hill and board president David Caviness listen closely to district updates in a school board meeting on Monday in the Vonita White Administration Building. The board approved the purchase of new buses and building renovations during this meeting in an effort to increase district efficiency.

On Monday, Coppell ISD Board of Trustees approved the continuation of campus improvements for district buildings to make them into standardized, high-quality environments for both staff and students to work in. The board also approved the purchase of new school buses to modernize and reinforce the existing fleet, a big step in improving transport for students.

Prior to the approval of campus improvements, board members asked several questions regarding the financing of these projects. However, after further review, it was determined that the money would be drawn from CISD bonds. The bill passed unanimously due to its impact on productivity, despite inconsistencies in payment from previous bills regarding building maintenance.

“Overall, anything we can do to be more efficient and effective and reduce the outward expense is a benefit,” Trustee Anthony Hill said.

Additionally, eight new school buses were procured by CISD. These new buses can be used to either provide replacements for aging buses and add to the fleet. This is to be determined later on from a formal assessment of the condition of the buses that CISD currently has.It is estimated that around three to five of these new buses could potentially be used as replacements.

The board discussed enrollment in CISD as well, and the effects it may have. It was acknowledged there are more students leaving each year than students coming in, leading to a net loss in enrollment in the foreseeable future. This can in turn affect district funding, and reasons for this trend included high property values, homeschooling and charter schools.

“I think we have to really be thoughtful, strategic and aware of that. We have had this information with us for the past few years,” Superintendent Dr. Brad Hunt said.

Vouchers were also brought up for discussion, to which the board stated their previous stance, that unless there is an increase in public school funding, which would also have to be done by methods other than tests, they would not divert funds.

The board was also informed upon the district’s ESL program and its effectiveness on students. The board was told that not only did CISD have a high number of students who spoke a language other than English, but that in the past years they have continued to excel academically in the STAAR. There has also been an effort to provide services for the families of ESL students, including programs that help familiarize parents with the community, school system and the English language. So far, hundreds of parents have benefited.

“They are some of our most vulnerable kids, and making them feel comfortable and part of our community is tremendous,” Board president David Caviness said.

Follow @YugTalukdar and @CHSCampusNews on X