Shreya+Ravi

Shreya Ravi

Last October, Shreya and I were tasked with covering a football game at Plano West. We were both nervous as it was both of our first football coverage assignments, for me as writer and for her as photographer. It didn’t help that, at first, we went to the wrong location. Immediately, we ran to my car, punched in the correct address and went on a frantic drive with just minutes to spare before kickoff.

It was during that game, however, that we bonded, both as friends and as a coverage team. We signed up to cover many more games together, with moments equally as stupid and fun as the first.

From time to time, we would even switch roles, and I’ve been able to see her grow into an incredible sports writer. However, this never surprised me. Shreya isn’t just someone who’ll back down from a challenge, but one who actively seeks it out with the intention of excelling at it. It’s the reason why she’s one of the most talented and consistent photographers on staff. You’d be hard pressed to scroll through the homepage of coppellstudentmedia.com without finding at least one of Shreya’s photos prominently displayed.

But Shreya’s most important trait is that she’ll be there when you need her. Whether it’s advice about something that’s important to you, a last-minute ride somewhere or just being there to talk to while walking to lunch when you’re “feeling tired” over absolutely nothing (a recurring conversation starter for us). Shreya is there with her sarcastic, yet somehow simultaneously genuine, demeanor. It’s this quality of hers that has taken The Sidekick to great heights and has given me some of the most memorable moments of my senior year. 

Thank you, Shreya, for always being there—to capture a moment, and to make a moment.