CHS9 theater brings life to the story of Peter Pan

Photo courtesy Lauren Holt

CHS9 theater will hold its production of “Peter and the Starcatcher” on Friday, Saturday and Sunday at 7 p.m. in the campus auditorium.

Sahasra Chakilam, Staff Photographer

The adventurous, mischievous spirit of Peter Pan has been etched into many childhoods as he holds the distinguished reputation of being the boy who never grows up. However, not many know how his character actually comes to be. 

CHS9 theater presents its production of “Peter and the Starcatcher” on Friday, Saturday and Sunday at 7 p.m. in the CHS9 Auditorium. General admission is $10 and $5 for Coppell ISD employees wearing their badges.

Based on the 2004 novel written by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson, the plot of “Peter and the Starcatcher” delves into the journey of how an ordinary boy becomes Peter Pan. Freshman lead Yuvan Sampath portrays the titular Peter Pan.

“The play is basically a prequel to the story of Peter Pan that everyone knows,” Sampath said. “It’s interesting seeing the relationship between Peter Pan and the main antagonist, Black Stache, which was what Captain Hook was called before losing his hand.”

Although not a musical, there are still melodic elements accompanied with dancing sprinkled throughout the play.

“I am proud of the choreography,” Sampath said. “There are rhythmic elements put into the play, such as time stomps and fight choreography, which ties everything together.”

After performing at mock UIL in November, CHS9 theater members have been rehearsing for “Peter and the Starcatcher” since March.

“There has been a lot of work put into this production,” freshman stage manager Aanya Bhasin said. “A lot of minor details were incorporated to make the story more interesting.”

Tickets for the shows can also be purchased online or at the door. 

Follow Sahasra (@sahasrachak24) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.