Coppell locks in during fourth inning to secure victory

Kayla Nguyen

Coppell sophomore pitcher Kayla Shannon pitches against Plano East on Wednesday at CISD Baseball/Softball Complex. The Cowgirls took down the Panthers, 5-4.

Olivia Short, Sports Visual Media Editor

“4 minutes” by Madonna blasts over the speakers as senior outfielder Talia Stuchal walks up to the plate. Her younger sister can be heard yelling on a megaphone as she winds up to receive the pitch.

In an instant, the pitch is thrown and she hits a double deep into right field.

On Tuesday, Coppell defeated Plano East, 5-4, at the Coppell ISD Baseball/Softball Complex.

The turning point of last night’s game was Stuchal’s double that swayed the momentum into the Cowgirls favor in the bottom of the fourth.

“It wasn’t just one person getting on, it was one person getting on next and pushing them across the plate, and that’s why we prevailed tonight,” Stuchal said.

With Coppell leading, 2-1, sophomore Riley Warren was on deck after Stuchal. A fly ball to center field was dropped and allowed Stuchal to score and Warren advanced to second base on the error as the Cowgirls lead grew to 3-1.

An RBI double by junior shortstop Mallory Moore scored second baseman Natalie Howell to give Coppell a 5-1 lead.

“We made adjustments at the plate after facing her [Plano sophomore pitcher Jadyn Dawson] the first time through the line up and the girls knew what pitches they wanted to look for and we took advantage of that,” Coppell coach Kimberly Lecomte said. “I’m super proud of them.”

The back-to-back runs of the fourth inning held a lead that would then win Coppell the game. Plano East almost pulled ahead in the top of the fifth, scoring 3 runs, but fell short as the Cowgirls’ steady defense held them back.

“We had to push the pedal, and push the gas a bit harder to win the game,” Stuchal said.

Coppell plays at Hebron at 7:15 p.m. today.