Cowgirls dominate the Panthers

Kayla Nguyen, Staff Photographer

The sun sets over the field as the Coppell girls lacrosse team huddles together to prepare themselves for the approaching game. With a clatter of their metal crosses and an enthusiastic break, the Cowgirls are ready to win. 

Wednesday night, the Cowgirls defeated Parish Episcopal, 22-12, at Coppell Middle School North. Coppell held a steady lead throughout the duration of the game, ending the first half with a score of 10-6.

Coppell sophomore attack Wrenn Popp passes Parish Episcopal players at Coppell Middle School North on Wednesday. Coppell defeated Parish, 22-12. (Wendy Le)

“We did a really excellent job of moving the ball… [and] utilizing the opportunities we had offensively,” goalie coach Jess Scurlock said. 

Coppell held possession throughout the game and consistently communicated with one another, making for an impressive offensive performance.

A significant asset to Coppell was junior midfielder Sydney Gunnels, who scored 10 of the team’s 22 goals in addition to notable defensive plays.

Despite various defensive efforts made by Parish Episcopal, the Cowgirls held their ground and worked synonymously as team, setting the scene for their victory in the end. 

According to Scurlock, Coppell is a comparatively young team when put against its opponents. With 11 seniors graduating from the team the previous year, the Cowgirls have had a lot to prove this season and successfully did so with this game. 

Coppell plays against Plano next Wednesday at 7:30 for Senior Night.

“We really had fun tonight, that’s what made a difference,” sophomore goalie Coley Haworth said. 

Follow @kaylagnguyen and @SidekickSports on Twitter.