Coppell falls short to Allen in bi-district playoffs

Kayla Nguyen

Coppell sophomore forward Reagan Roberson and Allen sophomore defender Kiara Gilmore race after a ball in the Class 6A Region I bi-district playoffs at McKinney ISD Stadium on March 24. Allen defeated the Cowgirls, 5-1.

Kayla Nguyen, Staff Photographer

MCKINNEY – A $69.9 million stadium holding a capacity of up to 12,000 looms over the heads of Coppell’s girls soccer team. Coming off of their win against Plano the previous week, the Cowgirls were in high spirits, ready to take on the Class 6A Region I bi-district playoffs against Allen.

On March 24, the Cowgirls’ season came to a finale. A definitive second half concluded with the Eagles finishing off the Cowgirls, 5-1, at McKinney ISD Stadium. The Cowgirls end the 2022-23 season 14-8-2.

Eleven minutes into the first half, sophomore forward Reagan Roberson scores Coppell’s first and only goal of the night, equalizing the score against Allen before their ultimate downfall in the second half. 

“The first half was an incredibly competitive game,” Coppell coach Craig Able said. 

Throughout the 40 minutes, both teams fought fiercely, with lots of back and forth possession. The first half ended with a score of 1-1. 

Following halftime, the Eagles came back with a motive and new-found determination, ready to take the match. Just two minutes into the second half, Allen managed to scrape another goal, making the score 2-1 and setting the scene for the rest of the night.

Allen senior midfielder Melania Fullerton slide tackles a ball away from Coppell sophomore forward Reagan Roberson in the Class 6A Region I bi-district playoffs at McKinney ISD Stadium on March 24. Allen defeated the Cowgirls, 5-1.

As the match progresses, a mere two minutes after their first goal of the second half, Allen scores another, making the score 3-1.

Allen sophomore forward Ava McDonald proved to be fierce competition during the second half, coming out with a hat trick by scoring three of Allen’s five goals.

Despite the tough match put up by the Eagles, the Cowgirls showcased grit, and displayed the progress made by their young team throughout the tumultuous season. 

“We’ve had so much trust and there’s been a bond within the team this year,” sophomore goalkeeper Veronika Orzolek said. 

According to Able, junior defender Emma Fanous was a major asset to the team throughout the course of the match. 

“Emma Fanous battled incredibly hard and really put herself in great positions,” Able said.

Fanous led the team at various points of the game, spearheading Coppell’s defensive efforts until the end. 

“We’re a fairly young team and we’re returning a lot of really exciting talent,” Able said. “Hopefully this will propel us forward next season.”

Follow @kaylagnguyen and @SidekickSports on Twitter.