Loss to Hebron puts Cowboys behind in playoff chase

Coppell+sophomore+forward+J+McGill+dribbles+against+Hebron+junior+defender+Michael+Vonstein.+Hebron+defeated+Coppell%2C+2-0%2C+on+Friday+at+Buddy+Echols+Field.+

Caroline Moxley

Coppell sophomore forward J McGill dribbles against Hebron junior defender Michael Vonstein. Hebron defeated Coppell, 2-0, on Friday at Buddy Echols Field.

Wendy Le, Staff Writer

On Friday, the Coppell boys soccer team lost to Hebron, 2-0, at Buddy Echols Field. This loss takes the Cowboys’ District 6-6A record to 3-3-6 with two matches remaining in district play. 

In an effort to increase their attacking presence on the field, Coppell coach Stephen Morris made a strategic change during the second half of the match against Hebron, bringing on Coppell junior midfielder Anson Skorka in place of senior defender Ari Robicheaux, after Hebron’s goal by senior Jet Thompson in the first half.

“I took a gamble and I unfortunately lost it,” Morris said. “I think some of the guys are working at a more fast-paced rate than the others and that’s a chemistry issue we need to be working on.”

With the clock ticking down in the second half, the team left nothing to chance. Coppell showcased its skills and created numerous opportunities, leaving the crowd on the edge of its  seats with every play. Despite their efforts, Thompson managed to slip another ball past Coppell junior goalkeeper Jacob Campbell, bringing Hebron score to 2-0. 

Despite the outcome not being in their favor, Coppell left everything on the field until the final whistle blew, with the scoreboard reading 0:00.

“Coming into the game we knew that we were up against the top-ranked team in the district,” Coppell sophomore Jacob McGill said. “We knew it was going to be a difficult match, but I’m incredibly proud of my team for our efforts on the field tonight.” 

Coppell plays Flower Mound on Tuesday. 

Follow @SidekickSports on Twitter.