Student journalists soar to new heights, land coveted NSPA finalist nomination

Courtesy photo

On Friday, Coppell Student Media was announced as a finalist for a 2023 Online Pacemaker award from the National Scholastic Press Association. This marks the eighth time CSM has been a finalist for the award. Photo courtesy NSPA

Sri Achanta, Executive News Editor

For its fourth consecutive year and eighth time overall, Coppell Student Media has been named a 2023 National Scholastic Press Association Online Pacemaker finalist.

“It was a great honor and exciting testament to what our staff has put in this year because becoming a national Pacemaker finalist is very special,” senior Sidekick executive editorial page editor Manasa Mohan said. “It’s not an honor that comes to every single newspaper.” 

Coppell Student Media is now in the running for winning the 2023 NSPA Online Pacemaker against 23 other national finalists. Including Coppell Student Media, six finalists are Texas based.

Mohan attributes the finalist nomination to the dedicated efforts of every member on staff.

“This year compared to last, we have a lot of sophomores on our staff, especially sophomores comprising most of the first-year staffers,” Mohan said. “That’s really special because it’s their first year at CHS and that can be overwhelming at times, but the work they have done for The Sidekick over this past year has been absolutely phenomenal. It’s one of the main reasons why we could become finalists for such a prestigious award.”

Coppell Student Media also went through front-end design alterations, which, according to senior Sidekick executive design/interactive editor Srihari Yechangunja, aided in the national finalist selection.

“What was important was that we highlight the great visual media that our staff does, such as the great photography and the great designs,” Yechangunja said. “It’s really important that the visual media stands out and is prominent because it’s the first thing you see when you open CSM. Highlighting that great work was one of the more important parts of adjusting the website.”

To select the final winners for the award, a panel of judges will continue to monitor and evaluate content posted on Coppell Student Media. Senior Sidekick executive editor-in-chief Angelina Liu states that pushing for unique multimedia is something the staff will continue to work on.

“Videos is definitely a big thing,” Liu said. “Podcasts, I want one to go up every single week. Definitely just really good visual media all around. We already do this, but I really want to push for that high quality visual media – not whatever’s convenient, rather we should be striving for the best.”

Online Pacemaker recipients will be announced on April 22 in San Francisco at the JEA/NSPA Spring National High Journalism Convention. Student-produced content can be seen on Coppell Student Media at www.coppellstudentmedia.com.

Follow Sri Achanta (@sriachanta_) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.