Annual Heritage Night shines spotlight on cultural pride

Sidekick file photo

Coppell High School students dance to Bollywood songs during freestyle in Heritage Night in 2022. Heritage Night is tomorrow to celebrate the different cultures at CHS.

Maya Palavali, Staff Cartoonist

Playful music fills the cafeteria, punctuated by the perfect blends of spices. Students display their colorful costumes as conversation flows easily.

The Coppell High School Junior World Affairs Council (JWAC) is hosting its annual Heritage Night tomorrow from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. in the CHS Commons.
The night will be a time to celebrate the variety of cultures living inside CHS. Attendance is predicted to be more than last year’s estimate of 300 people.

“I am really glad we go to a school that has such a supportive community,” JWAC sponsor Mashal Khan said. “There are so many people interested in showing off their cultures.”

There will be many booths for students to share their cultural history, play fun games and share information about non-profit organizations dedicated to causes all around the globe. Henna booths will also be an activity available.

Throughout the night, there will be various performances, such as Indian dance and Taiwanese opera singing. There are twice as many performances scheduled than last year.

“I am doing a Bollywood dance performance with my friends to songs like ‘Behka’, ‘Sodakku’ ‘Mela’, ‘Lovely’, ‘Ainvayi Ainvayi’, and ‘Kukkad’,” JWAC president Subashree Ganesan said.

Food will be available for purchase including samosas, chaat, ramen, chips and salsa. Tickets are $7. Proceeds will go towards organizations that JWAC will choose and to funding the next Heritage Night.

Follow Maya (@mvpalovalley) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.