Destination San Antonio: Road to state tournament begins with matchup against Allen

Coppell+junior+guard+Ella+Spiller+passes+against+Hebron+at+CHS+Arena+on+Jan+6.+Against+Hebron.+Coppell+plays+Allen+in+the+Class+6A+Region+I+bi-district+playoffs+tonight+at+Carrollton+Creekview.+

Shreya Ravi

Coppell junior guard Ella Spiller passes against Hebron at CHS Arena on Jan 6. Against Hebron. Coppell plays Allen in the Class 6A Region I bi-district playoffs tonight at Carrollton Creekview.

Angelina Liu, Executive Editor-in-Chief

Tonight, the Coppell girls basketball team (33-3) takes on Allen at Carrollton Creekview High School at 6:30 p.m. in the Class 6A Region I bi-district playoffs. 

“We’ve been breaking down what they do and what they like to run,” Coppell coach Ryan Murphy said. “They’re a team where they don’t have one dominant player. [Senior guard Raimi McCrary] is their leading scorer. She’s a good player; she can go inside and outside and put the ball on the floor. They put five people on the court and all of them are capable of scoring. There are seven players that are averaging seven or more points per game. They’re pretty well balanced.”

This is the first meeting of the season between Allen and Coppell.

“We’ve got to box out,” Murphy said. “They’re really tough on the glass. We have to go back in transition every time. On the offensive end, we have to execute. It’ll be a tough game. Some districts match up with easier games in the first round. In our district and bi-district it’s a tough match up for all eight teams that are playing tonight.” 

Follow @angelinaliiu and @SidekickSports on Twitter