Ahmad breaking down borders with argumentation exploring queer-Muslim identity

Coppell+High+School+senior+Speech+and+Debate+president+Hunniya+Ahmad+delivers+her+Lincoln+Douglas+first+Affirmative+Constructive+%281AC%29+during+sixth+period+on+Jan.+18.+Ahmad+is+ranked+21st+in+the+nation+and+attended+the+Tournament+of+Champions+and+has+found+success+through+her+unique+argumentation+dealing+with+identity.+

Nandini Muresh

Coppell High School senior Speech and Debate president Hunniya Ahmad delivers her Lincoln Douglas first Affirmative Constructive (1AC) during sixth period on Jan. 18. Ahmad is ranked 21st in the nation and attended the Tournament of Champions and has found success through her unique argumentation dealing with identity.

Nrithya Mahesh, Staff Designer

“I am a queer Muslim and I am here. I exist. I am not going to censor myself for the community.”

These are the words Coppell High School senior Speech and Debate president Hunniya Ahmad abides by as she debates her way through tournaments. Ahmad goes the unconventional route with her unique argumentation centered around her queer Muslim identity.

Ahmad’s journey with debate started in ninth grade, only choosing the course because she thought it would aid her in her journey to become a lawyer. With no experience, she was fruitless in most of her first tournaments, but Ahmad was able to push through because of the team.

“I kept going because I had so much fun doing it,” Ahmad said. “I really enjoyed the feeling of being on a team and helping people around me. I felt this sense of community and belonging that I had never experienced before, without even debating in the first place”

As she participated in more tournaments, Ahmad grew both passionate about and successful in debate, qualifying for the National Speech and Debate Association national tournament in ninth grade.

“I was able to see my progress from being someone who was losing every round to being one of the only freshmen who went to nationals,” Ahmad said. 

Continuing debate into her sophomore year, Ahmad became dedicated to her craft, participating in 16 weekend-long tournaments throughout the year and eventually qualifying for the Texas Forensic Association state competition.

However, by the end of sophomore year, she had a big change in her life. Ahmad was outed to her parents and was forced to come out as queer. 

“It was a lonely process,” Ahmad said. “I didn’t have support from my parents and only had a few friends. I was dealing with homophobia at school and was overall feeling very alone. During this time, debate helped me feel less alone.”

Being on the traditional side, her parents found it difficult to process her identity and respond to the situation. 

“For a long while, we didn’t think a whole lot about it,” Ahmad’s dad Umer Ahmad said. “While that happened, she really threw herself into debate and found an outlet of having her voice heard.”

Having her identity out there for all to see, Ahmad decided to write her own story and take control of her stolen voice. 

“I was already labeled as queer, so I thought about what I could do to change the way people perceive me,” Ahmad said. “I [didn’t] want to be perceived in a negative light, so I shifted it to be positive.”

In a debate event notable for its policy discussion, Ahmad started her signature queer Muslim identity argumentation. She would view all topics and potential policies given to her from the point of view of queer Muslims. 

“Debate taught me that when we are learning about policies, we cannot ignore our own subject position,” Ahmad said. “My subject position is being a queer Muslim, so I want to focus on it as I debate.”

Putting together poetry and performances, Ahmad prepares her evidence for tournaments with primary sources that leave judges and listeners in awe. 

“This type of argument isn’t normally seen in the debate space, so it was very refreshing to see,” senior Lincoln Douglas debater Alexis Sibanda said. “Hearing her poetry and the evidence she puts together is really emotional and touching.” 

During her junior year, Ahmad received a bid to participate at the prestigious national Tournament of Champions. She wound up winning three out of the six rounds she debated in.

“I was so beyond happy, but once that moment passed, I felt like I needed to do more,” Ahmad said. “In my freshman year, all I wanted was to go to the Tournament of Champions; but once I got there, I felt like I needed to push myself further and break my past records.”

Ahmad has since continued to qualify for the Tournament of Champions, ranking 21st in the nation in her senior year, and TFA state competition. She now works to help other debate students succeed as an overall debate coach.

“The people that she works with truly feel comfortable around her and she’s truly enthusiastic about supporting them,” debate teacher Sunhee Simon said. “Her passion for debate infects other people. 

As she continues to debate and interact with others, Ahmad is gaining acceptance of her identity from those around her.

“I believe that every person has to discover their own values and identity,” Mr. Ahmad said. “For me, I have my values. They are relatively traditional and I think that’s OK, but I want Hunniya to discover her own set of values and be who she is.”

Hoping to one day become a public defender, Ahmad plans to continue debating on the college level as she learns more about gender and queer studies. 

“My goal is to make people feel more accepted and gain recognition for my work because I know it paves the way for other people to do the same,” Ahmad said. “I’m looking forward to debating in college, as the collegiate sphere is where you can make the most change possible.” 

Follow @CHSCampusNews on Twitter