Saldana impacting others through attitude

Sahasra Chakilam

Coppell High School crossing guard Anthony Saldana watches the road as cars and buses leave and enter the bus loop after school on Jan. 18. Saldana has worked at CHS for four years and serves as the head of security.

Sukirtha Muthiah, Staff Writer

Hot or cold, rain or shine, as students arrive at Coppell High School, there is always a familiar face waiting to greet them at the crosswalk. Day in and day out, CHS parking and security attendant Anthony Saldana strives to make school a safer place. 

Saldana was promoted to the position of head parking and security attendant four years ago when his partner resigned. His many duties include directing traffic both before and after school and making sure all doors are locked during the day. 

As schools made the transition back to in-person learning in 2021, it was up to Saldana to navigate the traffic and security situation at CHS. 

“I love [Saldana’s] tenacity and will to help others,” CHS School Resource Officer Tee Walker said. “He’s always making things happen even if no one else sees it.” 

Even though his job can be challenging at times, Saldana thinks it is important to focus on the high points and move past the lows. Working at a high school, where teenagers are the main demographic is not easy, according to Saldana, but it is the kids that recognize and appreciate him that make his job worth doing. 

“[The students] have shown me a lot of love, a lot of respect,” Saldana said.

He hopes to instill a sense of protection and resourcefulness in students. After graduation, many kids head off to college, where they are left to fend for themselves. Saldana explains that though he may not be there with them, he hopes to teach students life lessons that they can hold on to. 

“Once you get out of high school, you’re not protected anymore, which was something that I really struggled with,” Saldana said. “We’re so insulated in this little bubble and that might make it hard for some kids when they leave, so I want them to know that I will always be there for them.” 

Often, when visitors or district officials visit CHS multiple times, they are amazed to see that Saldana is still there. He explains that although his current job was not his intended plan of becoming a certified athletic trainer, he genuinely enjoys coming to school everyday and making the best of it. 

“I love what I do but back when I was in high school, I was an athletic trainer, and that’s still a dream of mine,” Saldana said. “That’s why I am so attached to the athletic department.” 

Saldana strives to demonstrate that it doesn’t matter what you’re doing as long as you are happy doing it. 

“[Saldana] just reminds me of joy every time I see him,” CHS library aide Robin Woodby said. “He’s just always smiling and you can tell that he’s genuinely happy.”

Follow @CHSCampusNews on twitter