Winter storm hits North Texas, district closes due to inclement weather

Aliya Zakir

Freezing rain and sleet fall and cover the streets of the Parkside Community in Irving on Tuesday. All administration buildings and schools in Coppell ISD are closed on Tuesday due to inclement weather and possible unsafe road conditions.

Sri Achanta, Executive News Editor

Coppell ISD has closed all schools and administration buildings today and Wednesday. All extracurricular activities are canceled and the Coppell High School Ninth Grade Campus Spring Showcase is now rescheduled to Feb. 21.

The winter storm warning has been extended until  6 a.m. on Thursday with a mixture of freezing rain and sleet blanketing the icy roads of North Texas.

According to The Weather Channel, “The first wave of wintry weather spread freezing rain and sleet from central and northern Texas and central and eastern Oklahoma to Kentucky from Monday into early Tuesday.” Icing is now hazardous enough to cause power outages and damage trees.

The cold weather in Coppell holds its place on Wednesday with temperatures in the high 20s and low 30s and freezing rain from anywhere between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m. The ice storm is projected to taper off by mid-Thursday, as temperatures reach up to 44 degrees.

Coppell city offices are closed to the public today and weather closure updates can be found here

The district will decide how days lost to inclement weather will be made up. As of now, no decision has been finalized. According to CHS associate principal Zane Porter, the normal block schedule will be followed when school resumes, but the decision is still subject to change.

Follow Sri Achanta (@sriachanta_) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.