Hype surrounds Coppell-Guyer showdown

By Adam Bremner

A massive amount of anticipation has led up to this Friday’s game between new district foes, the Coppell Cowboys  and Denton Guyer Wildcats, as they face off on the gridiron of Buddy Echols Field.

Both teams are big. Both teams have talent. And both teams are favorites to end atop the District 7-5A rankings. Thus far, the Cowboys are ranked 3rd in the area with a 4-0 record and the Wildcats post a 3-1 record (we will give them a pass on the lone defeat; it was an overtime loss to Cedar Hill) and are ranked 4th in the area.

To be frank, these teams have dominated most of their regular season to this point and have showed no signs of letting up. The teams mutually come off a victory in which they trounced their opponents by scoring 50 plus points.

Division one recruits also surround both of the teams. The Wildcats have highly touted recruit, quarterback J.W. Walsh who will be attending Oklahoma State next year and is tearing up the field this season. Walsh leads the team in multiple facets of the game, but is primarily a running quarterback and leads the team with 15 total touchdowns through four games.

Coppell then combats Walsh by showcasing a premier player of their own with, of course, running back Cam McDaniel. McDaniel is undecided on his collegiate play but has been successful this far into the season. The total attempts rushing for McDaniel is already at 100 which has amounted to 625 yards and 9 touchdowns. Head Coach McBride has relied heavily on McDaniel’s legs thus far and it will take a concerted effort by Guyer to shut him down.

Come this Friday night, the District 7-5A title may be decided by this single game’s outcome. Regardless, the match-up is quite possibly the most exciting in the state this week and at least has the biggest implications.