Sherrer, Lamendola shows out against Byron Nelson

Coppell+High+School+senior+guard+Macey+Mercer+makes+a+free+throw+against+Byron+Nelson+at+CHS+Arena+on+Tuesday.+The+Cowgirls+defeated+the+Lady+Bobcats%2C+72-53.+

Ava Johnson

Coppell High School senior guard Macey Mercer makes a free throw against Byron Nelson at CHS Arena on Tuesday. The Cowgirls defeated the Lady Bobcats, 72-53.

Angelina Liu, Executive Editor-in-Chief

Coppell senior Jules Lamendola grabs the rebound and dribbles up the court. She sees sophomore guard Londyn Harper at the basket, and uses her body to throw it across the court. Harper grabs the pass, pump fakes and scores. 

The Coppell girls basketball team defeated Byron Nelson, 72-53, on Tuesday at CHS Arena. 

Coppell junior guard Landry Sherrer and Lamendola lead scoring with 16 points, and senior guard Macey Mercer and sophomore guard Londyn Harper contributed 10 and 8 points, respectively.  

“[Sherrer’s]  minutes have been up and down. It’s been really competitive in practice for everybody to try to earn those minutes,” Coppell coach Ryan Murphy said. “She had a really good practice yesterday to the point where it was worth giving her a look and she hit that first [3-pointer] which gave her some confidence. In the second half she started doing more creating off the dribble which was good to see her score multiple ways.” 

Coppell (12-0) held a comfortable lead throughout the game, scoring on several fast breaks and creating opportunities for shots. Defensively, Coppell played a man-to-man defense on Byron Nelson. 

“Overall, we did a good job of getting good shots,” Murphy said. “I feel like we moved the ball and got a lot of open looks. A lot of people stepped up and knocked down shots. Byron Nelson is a young team. They have a lot of skilled players who are going to be very good for them. They remind me of us two years ago. I think just us being so many kids who have logged so many varsity minutes I think they were just able to out-experience Byron Nelson.” 

Currently, Coppell is No. 5 in the TABC Hoops Class 6A rankings. District 6-6A play begins next week as the Cowgirls travel to Buda for the Hays Hawk Classic starting on Friday. 

Follow @angelinaliiu and @SidekickSports on Twitter