Student Council connecting district leaders in inaugural Barnyard Bash

Dinner and games allowed student-leaders from across CISD to collaborate

Minori Kunte

Texan-themed decorations coat the tables of the Coppell High School Library on Tuesday. Coppell High School student council invited other CISD student council members for dinner and leadership games as a part of the inaugural Barnyard Bash.

In the early November cold, the lights in the Coppell High School Library glow despite the darkness outside the facility. On Tuesday evening, Coppell High School Student Council’s inaugural Barnyard Bash brought various Student Council leaders from across Coppell ISD to the CHS library for an evening full of fun, leadership and unity. 

Other important board members and district leaders were also invited to this Texan-themed dinner, including district superintendent Brad Hunt and trustee Leah Walker. After the guests procured their catered Dickey’s Barbecue dinner, STUCO leaders from CHS encouraged everyone to talk about what they are grateful for this fall. Later they discussed the importance of the event, citing reasons from creating a connection between schools as well as cultivating future leaders.

“As a high school student council, we should be getting younger kids involved in leadership,” CHS Student Council parliamentarian Kate Nelson said. “I also love the fact that all of student council came together as a group.”  

Coppell High School student council sponsor Benjamin Stroud and keynote speaker Allison Stamey from Lewisville High School gave separate speeches on what they believed was important for the young leaders and how to continue growing their leadership skills.

Coppell High School student council sponsor Benjamin Stroud and Lewisville High School student council sponsor Allison Stamey discuss leadership in the Coppell High School Library on Tuesday. Coppell High School student council invited other CISD student council members for dinner and leadership games as a part of the inaugural Barnyard Bash.
Minori Kunte

Soon thereafter, the students, separated by table groups, began to move outside of the dining area to experience the awaited team-building games and activities throughout the common hallway. Laughter and discussion filled the high school as students played games like Charades to practice non-verbal communication. Each activity was led by CHS student council members and relied on teamwork which allowed student-leaders to get to know each other better. 

“While not all of the games were leadership-based, they also focused on team building, getting to know each other and having fun,” CHS Senior Class Secretary Roma Patel said. “It was great to see people open up after getting competitive.” 

The group gathered in hopes to create a tradition in Coppell, where student council leadership could play leadership games, get to know each other, and form a community. Ultimately, the goal is for younger leaders to bring their experiences and ideas to the high school once they get to that point. 

“I think it’s important for the younger kids to know that the leadership that you have currently [at Coppell Middle Schools] is going to be fostered and grow as you move into high school,” Patel said. “It never goes away.”

Follow @CHSCampusNews on Twitter