Cowgirls take care of business early in rout of Lone Star

Angelina Liu, Executive Editor-in-Chief

On Tuesday night, the Coppell girls basketball team opened the scoring with an inbound pass jumpshot to senior guard Saiya Patel. Coppell continued to put points on the scoreboard,  keeping a wide score margin between Frisco Lone Star the entirety of the game. 

Coppell senior guard Allyssa Potter and senior guard Jules Lamendola lead scoring with 12 points and 10 points, respectively. 

Coppell defeated Frisco Lone Star, 75-36, at CHS Arena. 

“They’re pretty athletic and move the ball fast. They were a good team,” Coppell junior guard Ella Spiller said. “We all worked really well as a team executing. We definitely got into our plays really fast. And that’s what we’ve been working on.  I think we worked really well taking constructive criticism and then working on it.” 

Coppell senior point guard Macey Mercer and sophomore point guard Londyn Harper made their varsity debut playing at home, and scored nine and eight points, respectively. 

In the future, the Cowgirls will continue to work on tightening its press, transition and defense. 

“There were a couple of times where we were in the more aggressive version of our press, and we were just really slow to rotate and we got beat up the sideline,” Coppell coach Ryan Murphy said. “I think there’s work to be done there. I think that’s what’s fun and special about this group is that we talk about something and they go out and you see the intent to get it done. I think that’ll make us a lot better as the year goes on.” 

Follow @angelinaliiu and @SidekickSports on Twitter