Coppell looks to continue home cooking against Frisco Lone Star

Angelina Liu

Coppell sophomore guard Ella Spiller distracts South Grand Prairie during an inbound at Ranchview on Monday. Coppell lost to the Warriors in the Class 6A Region I quarterfinals, 56-49, ending its season.

Angelina Liu, Executive Editor-in-Chief

Tonight, the Coppell girls basketball team plays its first home game of the season against Frisco Lone Star, with tipoff at 7:30 p.m. at CHS Arena. 

“We have unfinished business,” Coppell coach Ryan Murphy said. “As good as last year was, we could have done more. And that we have to keep working and pushing because everybody else got better, too. We still have things that we want to accomplish.”

On Friday, the Cowgirls defeated Austin High, 50-43, at the Jason Todd Showcase at South Oak Cliff High School.

“On Saturday, we did just enough to win,” Murphy said. “This is a game where we’re going to have to take care of the ball and be sharper.” 

Fans can expect to see many returning faces on the starting lineup such as seniors Jules Lamendola, Ella Spiller, Saiya Patel, Alyssa Potter, Waverly Hassman and junior Landry Sherwood. Notable fresh faces include sophomore Londyn Harper and senior Macey Mercer. 

“We don’t have a ton of new faces in the starting lineup,” Murphy said. “We have more starters than starting spots. It’s a nice competition that they’re having at practice.”

The Cowgirls have not faced Frisco Lone Star in the past. 

“I know they have a couple players that are real athletic that can shoot and handle the ball,” Murphy said. “For us, I know we have to execute. I’d like to tighten up our press without a question. We need to do a better job making things difficult for teams getting the ball in the court. Offensively, we need to be a lot sharper, with our cuts and our screens and making sure that we’re making the right reads and taking good care of the ball.” 

Follow @angelinaliiu and @SidekickSports on Twitter