Big Tex Choice Awards launch State Fair season in North Texas

Saniya Koppikar

A balloon installation with the iconic State Fair tagline, “Howdy folks!” decorates the tasting and media room of the Briscoe Carpenter Livestock Center after the conclusion of the Big Tex Choice Awards winners announcement ceremony. The Big Tex Choice Awards selected a winner for the Most Creative, Best Taste – Sweet and Best Taste – Savory titles on Aug. 28 at the Briscoe Carpenter Livestock Center, after judges tasted and rated each of the ten finalists decided upon earlier this summer.

Saniya Koppikar, Entertainment Editor

DALLAS –– Nestled among red and white baskets and boats of delectable fair foods, a panel of six celebrity judges raises three concessionaire teams to a new height of fame with the scratch of a pencil. 

Their chances at an incredibly profitable State Fair of Texas season skyrocket as raucous cheers and claps abound, and they take the stage at the Briscoe Carpenter Livestock Center with wide grins and pumping fists. 

The Big Tex Choice Awards, named after the iconic stature marking the Fair Park fairgrounds, began early this past summer. 51 culinary entries were whittled down to 36 semi-finalists on July 6 and 10 finalists on Aug. 10, with judges evaluating based on uniqueness, creativity, presentation and taste. On Aug. 28, a winner emerged in each of the three categories: Best Taste – Savory, Best Taste – Sweet and Most Creative. 

The six judges: Marisa Trejo, co-owner of La Casita Bakeshop in Richardson; Hiawatha Williams, founder of Williams Chicken; Brad Batson, co-founder of Karbach Brewing; Lance Barrow, formerly of CBS Sports; Rob “Big Rob” Maiden, captain of the Mavs ManiAACs; and Bruce Sifford, the State Fair Chairman of the Board. 

The winners of The Big Tex Choice Awards, Tami Nevins-Mayes and Josey Mayes; The Garza Family; and Chris Easter and Nicole Sternes are applauded as they stand with Little Big Tex and their six celebrity judges. The Big Tex Choice Awards selected a winner for the Most Creative, Best Taste – Sweet and Best Taste – Savory titles on Aug. 28 at the Briscoe Carpenter Livestock Center, after judges tasted and rated each of the ten finalists.

The three victorious concessionaire teams were mother-daughter duo Tami Nevins-Mayes and Josey Mayes, newcomer couple Chris Easter and Nicole Sternes and the two-time Big Tex Choice Award winner Garza Family.

In its 18th year, the competition emphasized ingenuity, creativity and state pride as entries ranged the span of the culinary spectrum. In fact, the 2022 fair theme, “Treats of Texas,” highlights a fact most fairgoers have accepted by now: the outrageous food is undeniably essential. 

Outrageous, indeed. This year’s winners consisted of a fried charcuterie board, the Cha-Cha Chata (a horchata milkshake with deep-fried arroz con leche and a churro straw) and the Peanut Butter Paradise (a deep-fried peanut butter-topped honey bun). 

“Heavy,” Sternes, who co-owns Southside Steaks & Cakes with Easter, joked about her creation, the Peanut Butter Paradise. “Once you take just one bite, it’s mouthwatering, and all you can think about is paradise and heaven. Just think about eating dreams and aspirations.”

Sternes and Easter were concessionaires for the first time at last year’s fair. Even so, the couple managed a win on their first attempt at the competition this year, cinching the title of Best Taste – Sweet. 

“It means a lot just to be part of the State Fair of Texas, and to be a finalist on your first try?” Sternes said. “We’re very excited and we’re honored because we’re part of tradition now.” 

The State Fair of Texas dates back to 1886, though it’s gone through more than a few name changes, and was chartered by Dallas businessmen W.H. Gaston, John S. Armstrong and Thomas L. Marsalis. Despite a tumultuous history since, the State Fair has been a constant fixture in North Texas. With visits from John Philip Sousa, William Jennings Bryan, Booker T. Washington and multiple presidents, it has been a source of pride and wonder for the region.

Along with supporting culture, the fair carries on several tangible traditions. In fact, the fair is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that donates proceeds to museum, community and scholarship programs for inner-city youth and students pursuing agricultural careers. To this day, the fair has provided 2.1 million free admission tickets for North Texas students and teachers, sponsored local community programs and college scholarships and hosted more than 1,100 creative competitions. 

Created by 22-year-old concessionaire Josey Mayes, the fried charcuterie board, winner of the Best Taste – Savory title at the Big Tex Choice Awards, is displayed after the ceremony that announced the 10 finalists on Aug. 10. The Big Tex Choice Awards selected a winner for the Most Creative, Best Taste – Sweet and Best Taste – Savory titles on Aug. 28 at the Briscoe Carpenter Livestock Center, after judges tasted and rated each of the 10 finalists.

The fair food, and the Big Tex Choice Awards, similarly foster an enduring sense of community and history. Some concessionaires have even become “royalty” at the fair, easily recognizable because of how long they’ve been there.

The family of Josey Mayes, creator of the fried charcuterie board that won Best Taste – Savory, has been at the fair for 73 years. Four generations’ worth of concessionaires, but the 22-year-old breathed new life into the dynasty all the same. According to Mayes, the entry was inspired by her love for making the boards, traditionally comprised of meat and cheese, for her friends. 

Inspiration for the fantastical creations of this competition comes from everywhere, as many concessionaires spend all year brainstorming and perfecting their recipes. From honoring past ancestors to lifelong friends and bizarre ideas, the Big Tex Choice Awards present the perfect opportunity for the meshing of culture, entertainment and culinary arts. 

Check out the winners and more than 70 other concessionaires at the State Fair of Texas from Sept. 23 to Oct. 30 at Fair Park. 

Follow Saniya (@SaniyaKoppikar) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.