Cowgirls’ stellar season ends in bi-district sweep by Allen

Anjali Krishna and Meer Mahfuz

This year’s Coppell softball team had proven themselves up to the task. As the first team to qualify for the playoffs since 2019, only two of the girls on the team had seen a postseason before. An entirely new coaching staff was no obstacle to them as the Cowgirls headed into the Class 6A bi-district playoffs against Allen. 

However, the unprecedented season ended on Friday in a 9-4 Game 2 loss at Allen, give the Eagles a sweep of the best-of-three series.

“I always tell the girls ‘the game doesn’t know which team is better, it’s who wants it more and who is going to go out there and compete.’ Coppell coach Ashley Minick said. “And overall, we did a really good job competing, it didn’t matter who the other team was, we were going to play our game. There is nothing to hang their hat on with what they’re accomplished this year. They should hold their heads high, and be proud of what they’ve done this year.”

GAME 2: Hood’s record-tying, three-run homer sparks Allen comeback, downs Cowgirls 

ALLEN – With runners on first and third at the top of the fifth, Coppell junior first baseman Emily Fischetti stepped up to bat, in a position to deliver the Coppell softball team its first lead of the series. And she almost delivered – a hit to right field seemed to set the Cowgirls up for what they needed.

But a quick move from Allen senior first baseman Brooklyn Purtell, diving to field the ground ball and just barely touching the base with her opposite hand, stopped the Cowgirls’ play and any chance they had of surpassing the formidable Eagles’ offense.

Allen went on to defeat Coppell, 9-4, to end the Cowgirls’ season in Game 2 of the series. 

The Eagles were propelled primarily by senior shortstop Samantha Hood, who broke through Coppell senior Kat Miller’s pitching in the third inning with a three-run homer to start off the Allen offense that would reign supreme through the rest of the game, also tying the Dallasarea record for most home runs in a season with her 19th. With the Coppell defense feeling the pressure from Hood’s hit, in that same inning, Allen freshman infielder Morgan Wright tripled to put the Eagles at 4-2. 

“They can hit the ball and we knew that going in there,” Coppell coach Ashley Minick said. “We tried to make plays and they did a really good job. They could hit the ball.”

Four more runs for Allen in the fifth inning spurred on Coppell pushback: two RBI singles in the sixth that still could not answer the eight unanswered runs from the Eagles.

“We competed at the end, but it happens,” Coppell senior pitcher Kat Miller said. “We did fight, but we should have made adjustments earlier. It’s sad to see it come to an end.”

While she was unable to make a dent in the insurmountable Eagles, Coppell sophomore right fielder Mallory Moore homered twice on Friday, putting up the Cowgirls first two runs of the night, adding more defining hits to her resume after it was her run against Flower Mound on April 22 that would confirm the Coppell softball team as second in District 6-6A. 

“It’s exciting to end on a good note [with those two homers], but I’m just really proud of this team and what we’ve accomplished,” Moore said.

GAME 1: Allen spoils Cowgirls home playoff debut

As Thursday night began, the Coppell softball team had the dugout with the most energy. But, at the end of Thursday night, it would be Allen that walked out of the Coppell ISD Baseball/Softball Complex with smiles on their faces.

The Eagles defeated the Cowgirls, 3-1, to steal a win away from the Cowgirls and take a one-game lead in the Class 6A Region I bi-district playoff series.

Allen started the scoring off in the third with an RBI double from senior first baseman Brooklyn Purtell.

The Eagles added on another run in the fourth by advancing a runner to third off of two sacrifices and senior third baseman Taylor Wright drove the runner in with an RBI single off a hard ground ball to center field. 

In the bottom of the fourth, sophomore second baseman Mallory Moore and  junior catcher Medleigh Danchak walked with two outs. A fielding error on the following pop up allowed Moore to score as the Cowgirls cut the deficit to 2-1.

In the fifth, Allen tripled and freshman catcher Jaydyn Beall drove in the run with an RBI single to left field to restore the Eagles’ two-run lead.

Senior Kat Miller had eight strikeouts for the Cowgirls, surrendering nine hits.

“I need to trust all my pitches and hit my spots more,” Miller said. “Today wasn’t my best day.”

Senior center fielder Adrianna Erichsen has Coppell’s only two hits.  

Follow Meer (@mahfuz_meer) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.