Rangers host Yankees in possible October preview

By Peter Sblendorio

Sports Editor

While it’s the Coppell homecoming that has the town buzzing, another significant event will be taking place this weekend in the DFW area.

Two first place MLB teams, the hometown Rangers and the New York Yankees, will be taking the field against each other in a possible preview of a playoff match up. The series will last three games and will be the final in the regular season between these two clubs. Thus far in the 2010 campaign, the Yankees lead the season series 4 games to 1.

The Yankees have been on a bit of a roll of late, winning 9 of their last 12 games. They have been boosted by the return of third baseman Alex Rodriguez, who leads the team with 100 RBI.

The Rangers, on the other hand, have been slumping of late, losing 8 of their last 12. This could be the result of losing center fielder Josh Hamilton to an injury last week. The Rangers will, however, get Cliff Lee back for Sunday’s game after their star pitcher missed a start with back concerns.

The series may not mean much as far as standings are concerned, as both teams are virtual locks to play in October. The games will, however, be a nice preview for what could be in store come playoff time.

For more on major league baseball, click here.