Schuller takes four placements, school record at Coppell Relays

Josh Campbell

Coppell junior Sky Schuller lunges in the 100-meter hurdle at Buddy Echols Field on Saturday at the Coppell Relays, setting a CHS record at a time of 14.30. The Cowboys placed first at the Coppell Relays while the Cowgirls took second place overall.

Anjali Krishna, Exeuctive Editor-in-Chief

After Coppell junior pole vaulter Sky Schuller launched herself into her first 13’7 attempt, just barely knocking down the bar, she and her teammates celebrated early. They knew already – from her positioning, from her inverted form – that she would clear her own school record to set a new one. 

“It’s record-breaking season,” Coppell senior pole vaulter Kinley Wojick said. 

And indeed it was. Though the second went awry, the third attempt put Schuller in Coppell’s history books once again, for a height not even her personal record. She also placed first in 100-meter hurdles, tied teammate junior Megan Judd for first in high jump and placed third in 300-meter hurdles.

Coppell girls track and field finished in second place at the Coppell Relays, its annual and singular home meet, while the boys placed first.

On the field side, boys winners included junior Michael Nance, who finished first in pole vault with a height of 15’1, sophomore Baron Tipton, who triple jumped 44’9 ½ and senior Ryan Sewell who placed first in shot put and discus throw. For girls, Wojick came in second for pole vault and senior Helena de Moraes placed fifth. In shot put, seniors India Howard and Kim Obialo placed third and fifth respectively. Sophomore Paris Harper made her varsity debut at the Coppell Relays with a third place finish. 

While the girls placed in eight running events, the Cowboys put up only four running placements to secure their first place title, with sophomore Matthew Maldima placing first in the 100-meter dash. Coppell senior runner Vedanti Naktode placed fifth in the 100-meter dash, third as a part of the 4×100-meter relay and second as a part of the 4×200-meter relay. 

“It’s incredibly special to finish out our senior season at home in a good way,” Naktode said. “Getting second place at this meet is a good sign for the rest of the season, and it sets us up just right as we head into district.”

Follow Anjali (@anjalikrishna_) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.