Cowgirls face Hebron tomorrow, seek to take first place

Aliya Zakir

Coppell forward Summer Chen recovers the ball from Plano forward Nathalie Muniz on Feb. 18 at Buddy Echols Field. The Coppell girls soccer team hosts first-place Hebron on Tuesday night.

Anette Varghese, Student Life Editor

The Coppell girls soccer team is on a five-match winning streak and sits second in the District 6-6A district standing behind Hebron. This makes its next match all the more important. 

Tomorrow, the Coppell girls soccer team hosts Hebron at Buddy Echols Field with kickoff at 7:30 p.m. 

“It makes a huge difference for us, if we beat them then we’ll take first place,” Coppell junior left/right winger Saiya Patel said. “We lost to them the first time and [Hebron] is also where our coach came from so this game is a big deal for us.” 

Patel and sophomore defensive midefielder Ella Spiller were not able to play the first match because of conflicting basketball games. 

“This is a great place to start,” Patel said. “If we win we’ll be in first place, to start. Right now that’s my goal and that’s our team’s goal. I just want to contribute in some way, whether it’s an assist or crossing the ball. It doesn’t have to be a goal for me.” 

Patel is ready to adjust her style and strategy to match Hebron’s attack and gameplan. 

“Usually what I do is try to create opportunities for  forward Renteta Vargas or freshman Abbi to finish,” Patel said. “I play as a winger, so I try to cross the ball for my other teammates to finish. I know that they are very athletic and physical. That means I will have to pass a lot more, because I am a lot smaller compared to other players.”

Follow Anette (@AnetteVarghese) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.