Updated: Old Town Coppell shooting leaves one dead, one hospitalized

Sannidhi Arimanda

George’s Coffee + Provisions temporarily closes down due to a shooting incident on Wednesday in Old Town Coppell. The incident killed a 21-year-old female and the male shooter is currently being treated at Baylor Scott & White Medical Center.

Anette Varghese, Student Life Editor

Editor’s note: This story has been updated from its original version to reflect the latest developments. 

At 11:13 a.m. today, the Coppell Police Department received various calls regarding sounds of gunfire in the 400 block of Houston Street.

According to the police department’s Twitter, officers arrived to find a female deceased from apparent gunshot wounds. Following witness reports of a male fleeing the scene of the crime, the police discovered the male with self-inflicted gunshot wounds nearby. 

The male suspect was transported to the Baylor Scott & White Medical Center – Grapevine, his condition is currently unknown. 

The police described the situation between the two persons involved as “a domestic situation,” with no direct relationship named. 

Nearby Wilson Elementary School initiated a lockout, which secures the perimeter (doors and windows) of a building to minimize exposure to possible safety threats outside. The lockout took place from 11:28 a.m. to 12:10 p.m.  

In an email via ParentSquare from Coppell ISD, the district said, “There was no imminent danger to Wilson students and staff. However, the Coppell Police Department, in conjunction with the district’s Safety and Security Coordinator and Wilson Administrators, determined that a Lockout was a necessary precaution.” 

Karina Coronel shared her harrowing experience from inside George Coffee + Provisions on the Coppell, Texas Facebook group page. 

“Being inside was scary beyond words,” Coronel said. “One cannot describe the spectrum of emotions that go through your mind when you hear the phrase ‘there’s an active shooter outside.’ But the staff at George’s and everyone inside remained calm and looked after one another.” 

As of 2:58 p.m. the Coppell Police Department declared the scene cleared with an investigation still in progress. 

UPDATE: According to the Coppell Police Department, the female victim is 21-year-old Caitlin Rogers of Coppell. The shooter was identified as 20-year-old Nicholas Twining, also of Coppell. Twining died from his self-inflicted gunshot wounds after being transported to Baylor Scott & White Medical Center – Grapevine. The police released the two were former college roommates.