Cowgirls secure co-district championship

Olivia Cooper

Coppell sophomore guard Isabella Spiller makes a pass against Plano East in the CHS Arena on Monday. The Cowgirls won against the Panthers, 46-40.

Torie Peck, Sports Editor

For the first time since its 2010-2011 season, the Coppell girls basketball team are the District 6-6A co-district champions, along with Plano East.

The Cowgirls will enter the playoffs at second seed with Plano East at first. This was decided by tiebreaking coin toss.

Having only lost one game this season, against previously undefeated Plano East, the Coppell girls basketball team needed to take down the Panthers on Monday at Coppell High School Arena to tie for first in district. The Cowgirls defeated Plano East, 46-40.

“We were locked, we did a good job executing,” Coppell coach Ryan Murphy said. “We had a few too many turnovers due to [Plano East’s] press but defensively we were really tough. The girls did a really good job of making [Plano East] inefficient and played tough.”

This win against Plano East tied the teams at first in district. The Cowgirls defeated Flower Mound, 50-34, Tuesday night and secured their position as co-district champions.

“Every game and every big moment we’ve had, the girls go into the locker room and celebrate for about ten seconds and then they sit down [and talk about] what we need to do better and how we’re going to do that and what’s next,” Murphy said.

Follow Torie (@torielpeck) and @CoppellSports1 on Twitter.