Through the eyes of the office (with video)

Cox supporting students to success

Sreehitha Moravaneni

Sreehitha Moravaneni

CHS9 attendance clerk and assistant principals secretary Christi Cox provides students with tardy and hall passes on Nov. 8. Cox’s day-to-day tasks entail taking care of not only attendance related measures but also occasional duties like general upkeep and event planning around campus. Photo by Sreehitha Moravaneni

Saniya Koppikar, Staff Writer

At CHS9, attendance clerk and assistant principals secretary Christi Cox is the only person who does what she does. 

From attendance, tardy slips, secretarial duties, discipline and handling any situation that comes up in the front office of CHS9, Cox covers a little bit of everything. She’s immersed in the student body and happenings at CHS9, she’s the go-to for events and celebrations on campus, and she designs and decorates many of the signs, certificates and decorations. 

It’s a heavy load for one person to shoulder on a daily routine, but Cox loves it.  

“It’s all mine,” Cox said. “And of course, the drawback to that is if I’m out, it’s all still waiting for me when I get back. But I enjoy the autonomy that comes with being the only person that does this job.”

It’s why I’ve never tried to move into any other position that would take me further away from kids. I feel like that’s why I’m here.

— Christi Cox

Though she started in the freshman office at Coppell High School, Cox was hired specifically for a position at CHS9. She was selected by CHS9 Principal Cody Koontz to be a part of his future staff, and like fellow staff members math teacher Michael Wang, science teacher Laronna Doggett and social studies teacher Britanny Scruggs, moved to CHS9 for its inaugural year

One of the main concerns when opening the school had been the isolation between the freshman and the rest of the high school population. The freshmen weren’t able to gain the same high school experience  as they did not attend school at the Coppell High School building. Classes, extracurricular activities and shuttle schedules were hectic. 

Four years after opening, CHS9 has undergone pandemic closures and staff changes, but despite the challenges the four freshman classes that have passed through those red and gray halls have faced, the campus is thriving. 

Much of this prosperity is thanks to Cox and her dedication to organization and service. 

“We just really appreciate her and everything she does for our campus,” CHS9 assistant principal Jessica Lynch said. “It wouldn’t be the same without her.”

Having roots in Coppell with her husband Wally, children and grandchildren, Cox loves the city. Her colleagues jump to describe her as outgoing, friendly and always willing to help.

“She’s very caring,” principal secretary De An Sills said. “We work well as a team, and we help cover for each other. She is definitely a team-player.”

For Lynch, it was no surprise that Cox was awarded Coppell ISD Paraprofessional of the Month for September.

“She’s amazing,” Lynch said. “You can give her a simple task and she’ll take it and run with it and make it better than whatever you expected. She’s just so committed to everything she does.”

Lynch previously taught English I and Reading. She assumed her new role as assistant principal with CHS9 assistant principal Robert Goff this year. 

“[Cox] always gets onto us-–Goff and I––for doing her job for her,” Lynch said. “But she’s been helping me a lot this year to learn my new role and learn how different processes work within our campus, and she makes sure I’m using her to make my job easier.”

Cox’s job is made easier through her love of the students at CHS9, who serve as her motivation for why she does what she does. Some CHS9 students have made lasting impressions on Cox, such as an anonymous student who Cox describes meeting.

“Actually, the first time we spoke, it wasn’t really the best circumstances,” Cox said. “He was in a little bit of trouble, but we’ve overcome that and made a fresh start, and now he’s just one of my favorites.”

Since their meeting, the two have become friends, discussing and comparing nail polish colors. 

“It’s why I’ve never tried to move into any other position that would take me further away from kids,” Cox said. “I feel like that’s why I’m here. That’s what I enjoy about it. the daily interactions with the kids and just having fun with them, joking around with them. The kids are my favorite part.

This service and dedication is Cox’s driving force, and she cites a quote from Maya Angelou as what inspires her to continue working with children. 

“‘I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel’,” Cox said. “Kids might not remember every interaction we had, but I hope when they leave here that they will feel like they meant something and that they mattered to us.”

Follow Saniya Koppikar (@SaniyaKoppikar) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.