Trustees honor students for TEPSA, UIL awards

Olivia Short

At Monday’s Coppell ISD Board of Trustees meeting, Board President Nichole Bentley congratulated Mockingbird Elementary for receiving the Texas Elementary Principals and Supervisors Association (TEPSA) student leadership award. Coppell High School junior Andrew Mullen was also applauded for his seventh place cross country finish at the Class 6A State Meet.

Nathan Cheng, Staff Writer

During Monday’s Coppell ISD Board of Trustees meeting, students across the district were recognized for various academic and athletic awards.

Elementary students from Mockingbird and Lakeside elementaries were recognized for winning Texas Elementary Principals and Supervisors Association (TEPSA) student leadership awards for projects and charities they participated in earlier in the 2021-22 school year.

“These students collected over 700 cans of food for the local food pantry and also had a toy drive last school year and collected over 200 toys for children in need during the holidays,” trustee Neena Biswas said. “Let us congratulate these students and council members for their leadership and incredible efforts.”

Coppell High School cross country junior runner Andrew Mullen was also recognized for his exceptional performance at the UIL Class 6A State Meet in Round Rock. Mullen placed seventh in the competition, running a personal best of 15:01. 

The board also discussed the addition of a new representative to represent Texan suburban school districts in the Dallas Central Appraisal Board. Cassandra Phillips was approved for this position by the board of trustees. 

A motion to close the district on Feb. 18 for a staff holiday was presented to the board. The day had initially been labeled as a staff development day, but the board passed the resolution to close the district, giving all CISD staff the day off along with the students. 

The board also discussed a new policy update dubbed “Texas Association of School Boards (TASB) update 118,” which included several policy changes regarding budget amendments and district expenditures, as well as a complete replacement of policies on cyber security of students, CISD resignations, personnel positions and compulsory attendance and several others. 

The update will include the following changes: 

Superintendent Dr. Brad Hunt will designate a new cybersecurity coordinator and select a new cybersecurity training program for employees in the district.

All employees seeking a resignation must now submit their resignations directly to the superintendent or superintendent – designated member of the Board of Trustees. 

A number of new principal and counselor qualifications regarding familiarity with curriculum, time spent working, experience in communications and public relations, and prior experience in leadership roles, must be met by all candidates for the employment. 

Students in violation of compulsory attendance will be reported directly to the district attendance officer as well as a change of various disciplinary and enforcing actions regarding the attendance or lack of attendance of the students. 

The update also included the recommendations of Dr. Hunt on the employment of new personnel. The motion was passed. 

Follow Nathan @WalterBotell and @CHSCampusNews on twitter