Cowgirls dominate in tight four-set match with Hebron

Coppell+senior+libero+Rebeca+Centeno+serves+against+Hebron+at+the+CHS+Arena+on+Friday.+The+Cowgirls+defeated+Hebron%2C+winning+three+out+of+four+sets%2C+14-25%2C+27-25%2C+26-24%2C+25-15.+

Aliza Abidi

Coppell senior libero Rebeca Centeno serves against Hebron at the CHS Arena on Friday. The Cowgirls defeated Hebron, winning three out of four sets, 14-25, 27-25, 26-24, 25-15.

Akhila Gunturu, Executive News Editor

After a loss at Hebron three weeks ago, the Cowgirls overtook Hebron last night at the Coppell High School Arena in a tight match, taking three out of four sets, 14-25, 27-25, 26-24, 25-15.

“This was a big time match and it had a lot of playoff implications,” Coppell coach Libby Pacheco said. “To be able to handle that pressure, go out and perform well. I’m really proud of the kids.”

In the first set, despite several strong plays from Coppell senior defensive specialist Meagen Lee’s serve and hits from senior outside hitter and defensive specialist Haley Holz and junior outside hitter Skye LaMendola, Hebron maintained the advantage. Hebron took the first set, rapidly approaching match point and distancing itself with an 11-point lead. 

Hebron failed to continue their consistency in a tight second set. Despite a net violation for the Cowgirls in the first few minutes of the second set, a scoring streak pushed the Cowgirls to a brief threepoint lead. Hebron quickly scored, and the second set was characterized by a series of ties and brief leads. 

However, the Cowgirls managed to score two points in succession at the end, led by senior right spiker Abby Hendricks, taking the second set. The Cowgirls ultimately took the third set with a service ace and kill. 

“The second and third sets were very, very close,” Hendricks said. “We were point for point. Both sets were past 25. Those are both turning points because if we hadn’t pushed through and given it our all for those last consecutive points, the entire match could have turned out completely different. So, I’m really proud of our team for being able to dial in and take it one point at a time.”

The match continued into a fourth set, but the Cowgirls quickly outpaced Hebron, scoring consistently with solid defense and offense. The Cowgirls play at Plano on Tuesday. 

“[That match] probably one of the biggest wins I’ve had throughout the four years in the program,” said Holz, who finished with 14 kills. “That really was a make it or break it win for us. We needed that win to give us a chance for the playoffs, so it feels amazing.”  

Follow Akhila (@akhila_gunturu) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.