Senior Night ends in victory over Lewisville

Coppell+senior+defensive+specialist%2Foutside+hitter+Haley+Holz+digs+against+Lewisville+during+the+volleyball+match+last+night+in+the+CHS+Arena.+Taking+the+lead+in+all+three+sets%2C+the+Cowgirls+brought+home+a+big+win+3-0+%2825-12%2C+25-11%2C+25-17%29+for+Senior+Night.+

Tracy Tran

Coppell senior defensive specialist/outside hitter Haley Holz digs against Lewisville during the volleyball match last night in the CHS Arena. Taking the lead in all three sets, the Cowgirls brought home a big win 3-0 (25-12, 25-11, 25-17) for Senior Night.

Tracy Tran, Staff Writer/Photographer

Returning back to the match after calling multiple timeouts, Lewisville volleyball team improved its offense, attempting to catch up with the Cowgirls in score. 

As the score went back and forth with multiple rallies, the third set was able to determine the win of the Coppell team. 

With Coppell senior defensive specialist Rayne Bossier serving at the end of the third set, the Cowgirls had their Senior Night closed out with a final score of 3-0, winning all three sets 925-12, 25-11, 25-17), in the CHS Arena last night.

“I’m really proud of how we played,” Coppell senior defensive specialist Meagan Lee said. “Today was a really big game for us. It was our Senior Night so our big focus of the whole week was just trying to be consistent and get everyone to play. Throughout all the sets, we tried to incorporate all of our seniors who usually don’t end up in the starting lineup and it was just a really good environment.”

Winning on Senior Night was important to the Cowgirls.

“[Being able to play tonight] was really special to me,” Lee said. “Through my three years in the program, I’ve been waiting for this night for a really long time and it was really special to be able to get all my friends and family out here too. And all my teammates and everyone in the student section were just cheering me on and it felt really good.”

Starting off strong at the beginning of each set, the Farmers failed to keep their consistency and defense, giving the Cowgirls chances to score with strong offense and blocking from the front row hitters.

During the third set, Coppell senior middle hitter Aley Clent broke a 9-9 tie, with junior middle hitter Allie Stricker later continuously scoring three points for Coppell.

“It was really fun and great to see all the seniors play and all play together for the last time,” Clent said. “I loved the energy that was going on, and that it was just so great to see so many friends. The best thing that we did today was overall teamwork and hitting was really good.I really had to credit that to [Coppell senior defensive specialist Sude Item], she really came in and she stepped up.”

Coming close to the end of the match, Coppell junior setter Taylor Young brought the score up to 24-17 with the Cowgirls’ lead. 

“We minimize our errors, take advantage of the other teams that have errors as well and it was just a good solid win,” Coppell volleyball head coach Libby Pacheco said. “It’s Senior Night and we were able to celebrate all of our seniors, especially in that third set whenever everything was getting a little tight in that we were able to go back and [senior defensive specialist Rayne Bossier] was able to get back here and serve and close out that game because at that point when it’s a close game, anything can happen and so we were able to keep that momentum with Reyne’s serve.”

For the next match, the Cowgirls play at Plano West on Friday. With Coppell currently in fifth place in District 6-6A, the team is one spot out of the playoff.

Follow Tracy (@AnhImtracy) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.