Community pep rally raises anticipation for homecoming game

On Wednesday evening, the Lariettes perform its program, The Wild Wild West, at Buddy Echols Field for the homecoming pep rally. The pep rally included a parade of co-curricular and extracurricular programs, as well as performances from many of the school’s fine arts programs. Photo by Sruthi Lingam

Sruthi Lingam

Joanne Kim, Podcast Producer

The crowd cheered as the band marched across the football field, color guard members throwing their flags as music travelled across the stand.

On Wednesday evening, the 2021 Coppell High School homecoming pep rally was held at Buddy Echols Field.

Various CHS  co-curricular and extracurricular programs paraded around the stadium track, as well as members of the Coppell Cheerleading Association. CHS alumni were also recognized, and many of the school’s fine arts programs performed for the crowd.

The cheerleaders performed their routine, and the Lariettes performed its program, The Wild Wild West.

“I was really looking forward to doing the jump split today,” junior Lariette Madeline Urbina said. “I had never done it in front of anyone else other than my team and my coach, so doing it for an audience was really exciting.”

The Coppell Band and color guard also performed their program, Carousel.

“The band was my favorite part. I loved the costumes and the dancing and the music,” former Coppell Cheer Association director Kiki Thorn said. “I thought, there can’t be [any band] who’s better than this.”

The Student Council also put on a performance of its own; a twist on the show “The Bachelorette.”

Homecoming court for freshman, sophomores and juniors were announced. Freshmen duchess and duke are Emmy Ratliffe and Dwij Mehta, sophomore duchess and duke are Eugenia Benavides and Gabe Pehl, junior princess and prince Breena Hira and Siddarth Sivakumar.

Homecoming king and queen nominees were recognized as well. Nominees for homecoming queen are Risa Azim, Rebeca Centeno, Taylor Ingle, Kathryn Kryzak and Lauren Rozas. Nominees for homecoming king are Charles Barker, Charles Braafladt, Hamza Hussain, Sharan Sethi and Sahan Yerram. The winners will be announced on Friday evening at the homecoming game.

“I’m excited to see who wins,” Yerram said. “It’s kind of suspenseful right now, but that’s the fun of it.”