“Rounding-Up” a year of moments, memories, photos

Senior photographer and student life editor of the 2010 CHS Round-Up Yearbook Morgan Smith puts up her camera this fall to attend Tyler Junior College to major in dental hygiene. She plans on keeping photography on the side and pursuing it as a minor.

Story by Allie Perison
    Editor in Chief

Senior Morgan Smith establishes her own take on the world through the lens of her camera. After taking photojournalism sophomore year, Smith realized that her interest in photography was both a talent and a passion of hers.

“Taking a really good picture and seeing it turn out makes me feel so accomplished,” Smith said. “People say to do what you love, and I love taking pictures. I don’t want to rely on it or taint it with being a full-time career, but it will always be something I do.”

While Smith does not plan on making photography her career, she does intend to keep it present in her future. Next year, Smith will be attending Tyler Junior College majoring in dental hygiene and minoring in photography.

“I want to do photography on the side,” Smith said. “It is something that allows you to be really flexible. It is fun, but I don’t do it to get paid.”

Smith first became

“I don’t think Morgan had intended on taking yearbook when she started, but after I saw what she could do I knew she had to join,” Pellegrino said. “It was obvious from the start the potential she had.”

Serving as the student life editor of the 2010 Round-Up Yearbook, Smith’s favorite subject to capture is human emotion. She has even earned some extra cash for such photography by shooting weddings, engagement pictures and senior portraits.

“Morgan’s photos are not artsy or bold in color,” senior Round-Up staff member Meredith McDonald said. “They are never posed or planned. She does something that a lot of people want to achieve. She captures moments.”

While Smith does not consider herself to have a distinct style of picture taking, she plans on developing it more through experimentation.

“One of my favorite pictures I have taken is of a sailboat in a bottle,” Smith said. “My dad passed away and it was something that he gave to my mom. That picture holds so much emotion – it really means something. It is amazing to be able to portray that and bring that out for other people to feel.”

This year some of Smith’s work was recognized in the Josten’s Lookbook contest, winning first place in black and white portraits and honorable mention in pictorials, winning her a prize of $500 and a tripod. She plans to use the money for college book expenses.

Despite Smith not planning to pursue photography as her main career, her photo legacy at Coppell High School will live on through the pictures that grace the pages of this year’s yearbook.

“I am going to be sad to see her go,” Pellegrino said. “She is a strong photographer and designer. She has talent that you don’t see all the time on top of being a sweet and driven girl. She is going to go far.”