Art-Deco photo booth prom highlighting the adaptability of seniors

Tanvee Patil

Coppell High School seniors Natalie Ward, Zoey Darkoch, Makaylie Montague, and Chloe Pham dance to classic dance floor shuffles such as “Single Ladies” by Beyonce and “Dancing Queen” by ABBA at CHS prom 2021. CHS seniors were able to have a senior prom photo shoot on Saturday night.

Angelina Liu, Staff Writer

The red tarp resembling red carpet rolled out and covered the wooden floors of the Coppell High School Arena. The bright, fluorescent lights dimmed and flashing rainbow colors took their place. An art-deco inspired photo booth waited patiently for use. 

At 6 p.m., Coppell seniors slowly started filing in with sparkly, sequined dresses and pressed suits as thumping music could be heard from outside of the building. 

“It made me happy to get photos with friends and at least enjoy somewhat of a prom,” senior Lasya Nukka said. “I got to see my friends and meet others who I haven’t seen in a long time.” 

The photo booth featured a black backdrop with palm trees and colored lights framing the sides. Seniors wore masks as they patiently waited for their turns. After three poses, the automatic booth sent a copy of the prints to a designated phone number and printed physical copies of the photos as keepsakes. 

“It’s nice because we’re finally able to have [prom] during COVID,” senior Sruthi Rajitkumar said. “I like how there is enough space for social distancing, and that we’re able to experience prom this year because it’s an event I was looking forward to [attending].

After the photo booth, seniors were invited to stick around and dance. Although food and drink was not provided, the mood was kept lively by the upbeat music and occasional teacher dance-breaks. 

“I think it was the best thing we could do given the situation,Coppell AP English teacher Benjamin Stroud said. “Seniors who have been staying home all year and haven’t really had a senior year; This is a great opportunity to make memories. I taught AP English III last year and I didn’t get to say bye to my students who were juniors last year and are now currently seniors. Once we left for spring break I didn’t get to see them. A lot of them, this is the first time they’ve actually gone back to this building since spring break of last year.

The event peaked around 8 p.m, with a long line of seniors stretching near the dance floor. Classic dance floor shuffles could be heard late into the evening, such as “Stayin’ Alive” by the Bee Gees and “Dancing Queen” by ABBA. 

“I was just so proud of all the teachers that showed up and the kids that came all dressed so beautifully and it was just a beautiful night,” CHS Principal Laura Springer said. “I had fun dancing like a fool with no dance skills and just enjoying it and watching other people see each other dressed up and getting to take pictures together. It was just a great time.” 

Follow (@angelinaliiu) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter